We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Papyrus

Tottenham NSW...
Level Contributor
27 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Papyrus

Hi all ..only 27 more days till I'm in Egypt Omg I'm so excited!

Have been reading old posts about buying real papyrus. I've double checked our itinery, and we are definitely not visiting any papyrus factories, so was wondering if anyone can tell me if there is someplace close to the Semiramis intercontinental hotel, where I can purchase some? We are doing a Nile cruise, and have read some good reports of a place in Luxor. Do we get enough time while cruising to shop..or is it basically roll out look at the temples, and then herded back on to ship? We will be on the M/s Mojito. I do not want cheap banana leaf papyrus. Thanks in advance for any help

West Country
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Papyrus

It isn't always on the itinerary as its usually a stop made either going to or coming back from an excursion. They like to surprise you with things like that.

Tottenham NSW...
Level Contributor
27 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Papyrus

Swmuse

Thanks for the reply..I wasn't aware of that. All my son wants me to bring him home is a papyrus;now looks like I can oblige!

West Country
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Papyrus

I am not sure how many people actually specifically ask to buy papyrus so by adding it to an excursion they get a captive audience and then there's the fact that your guide will almost inevitably be on some sort of commission from the establishment which usually makes it worth his while taking you there in the first place.

Of course you may be one of the people who doesn't get taken and in that case if you ask your guide I am sure he will be able to point you in the right place. There are plenty of banana leaf fakes to be found but I am sure you will be able to find a reputable establishment.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
24,881 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Papyrus

I had a good guide that took us (mostly) to get good quality stuff. The papyrus shop was Sandallia, Sadat St, Aswan. Lovely big choice. Guess it was returning from the standard trip.

On the same street was a good perfume shop. Ramsis Perfumery Palace. The oils are just great, perfume a room with a few drops, don't stain if dropped. Just watch out for them packing twice as much as you ask for and hassling you into buying too many perfume jars. You'll never use those when you get home and you can buy them here for the same price :-)

West Country
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Papyrus

Both those places sound familiar. I recall we visited a perfumery in Aswan but can't recall where the Papyrus place was only that it was impressive.

Tottenham NSW...
Level Contributor
27 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Papyrus

Thanks guys for the input. I shall definitely check this place out. Cheers

7. Re: Papyrus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2013, 05:16