We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Egypt - Where to go??

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
Save Topic
Egypt - Where to go??

Hi, I am looking at doing a tour in December and the options are endless!!! I found the perfect tour however I am limited on the time frame and this trip goes longer than I can do. I am doing the usual of Cairo through to Aswan but need help with another area to decide between. Which would be better to see - Siwa Oasis and White Desert etc or Mt Sinai,Red Sea etc. If you could help with this that would be fantastic on helping me make my decision!

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,710 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Egypt - Where to go??

It really depends on your interests, your budget and the time available.

The White Desert may be seen as an overnight trip from Cairo - type "White Desert" into the Search Box above to learn of the experiences of other travellers.

Siwa Oasis is much further off in the Western Desert - again, type it into the Search Box.

The places on the Red Sea coast are, essentially, resorts - some purpose-built.

Is Abu Simbel already included in your itinerary? If not, it would probably be the easiest add-on option.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Egypt - Where to go??

Thanks for the info. Abu Simbel is already included in the itinerary. Both trips were the same except one had the extras of white desert and the oasis and the other had Mt Sinai, red sea and the monastery. Wish I had enough time to do it all as the more I research the more I want to do! :)

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,082 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Egypt - Where to go??

The desert trip might be nice. However, most short tours don't allow nearly long enough in Luxor and Aswan. A first timer could spend up to a week in Luxor and nearly as long in Aswan. If your tour only gives you a day in Aswan then you will not regret spending a couple of extra days there. Ignore the standard day trip and do your own research.

I think that would be much better than spending precious time travelling to a seaside resort, especially as you come from Brisbane.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,710 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Egypt - Where to go??

Yes, I see now, bombergirl - thanks for elucidating.

Personally, I would opt for the oases as my interest lies in ancient history - the painted tombs and temple remains at Siwa and Bahariya - and I have no pressing interest in monasteries (seen quite a few in Egypt and elsewhere already), still less in toiling up a mountain, although I am sure that many travellers would regard Mount Sinai as the highlight of their trip.

If, after further reading and consideration, you cannot decide which to choose you could always spin a coin - your gut reaction to the result may tell you which add-on you really prefer.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
25,750 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Egypt - Where to go??

Personally I loved Sinai, beautiful colours and shapes and seeing a place that is so important in history.

Or you could do a couple of days cruise on the Nile - I enjoyed being able to watch more of the real Egypt country life along the banks as a break from the tours.

As you have as much coral as you need where you live I the Red Sea isn't an option unless you want to relax and chill.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Egypt - Where to go??

Thanks so much everyone for your input. You make very good points.I think a little more research is in order!!! :) Lucky I have a few months before I need to make the decision but I appreciate the information you have all given.

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Egypt - Where to go??

I visited all places on your "options" list and Siwa Oasis (as you can tell from my TA name :)) was my absolute favorite in all of Egypt! If you are looking for a unique cultural experience and meeting generous special people....Siwa is the place for you (not to mention swimming in both fresh & salt water lakes in the desert). It's definitely off the beaten track but well worth the effort to get there. I recently posted advice on air travel to Siwa which you may want to check out especially considering your time constraints.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Egypt - Where to go??

Thanks for the info. Have done a bit more research and have decided on SIwa Oasis and also doing the Bahariya Oasis and Black and White sand deserts. I am more thanlikely be travelling by myself to do this trip and have already got the major part of the trip organised but for these destinations above I may need some help! I found some trips to do these but alot are private tours.... are these safe to do by yourself? I did find one trip to the Bahariya Oasis and Black and White sand deserts with a tour, but haven't been able to find a day tour to Siwa that isn't a private tour. There is an overnight bus to there but then I can't find anything that will take you around to the sites. I guess if worse comes to worse and it is safe enough to do I could just pay more for the private tour but wanted to make sure it is safe enough to do. Any thoughts or does anyone know of day trips from cairo to do Siwa in a group environment? I am limited on time so a day trip is all I can do there.

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Egypt - Where to go??

Is it December when you plan to travel? Personally, I would closely monitor the situation considering the political unrest throughout the country. When I visited Egypt I was accompanied by a male friend.....as a woman, I'm not sure if I would have traveled alone unless I was part of a tour group. The country is known as a place where women traveling alone may have difficulties!

As for Siwa, unfortunately I think it is too far for a day trip from Cairo. We arranged tours with local people we met when we arrived in Siwa....actually these people looked after us during our entire stay (3 nights).

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Egypt - Where to go??

Yes December is when I planned to go. but obviously I will see how things are going with the situation over there at the moment before I book it in later in the year. Siwa does have a day trip it is just a private tour which I was unsure if safe to do. Guess I have alot to take into account and perhaps I just do the main tour group thing and don't worry about the other parts or if things don't improve over there I may have to leave it a little longer or maybe go when I have a little more time to spend there???? Decisions,Decisions! :) Thanks for your thoughts!