We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8 kg carry on weight limits on Egypt Air?

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
623 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
8 kg carry on weight limits on Egypt Air?

We are flying to JFK > CAI on Egypt Air in November this year (and possibly some domestic flight from/to LXR, ASW, ABS), and was surprised to find that the Egypt Air Luggage policy is that the carry on weight is restricted to 8 kg, both internationally and domestically. See, for example,

…egyptair.com/Pages/BaggageAllowance.aspx

www.flightnetwork.com/airlines/egyptair/

…azcentral.com/egypt-air-luggage-policy-3036…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g297557-i9295-k106…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294201-i9404-k343…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294205-i9426-k171…

We typically do not check luggage, never had a problem with carry on restrictions on any carrier that we’ve flown (even on Wizz Air which is notorious for being even slightly over the limit), and would like not to have to check luggage on our flights.

We are planning on using a 20-30 L backpack/person, and project the weight of each to be in the 12-15 kg range. I would expect such bags to be carry on any other flight.

I note that based on the seat maps for our flight, the B777-300 that we are taking looks pretty empty, so fights for overhead space should be minimal.

So what is the real scoop these days? Does MS enforce the 8 kg limit or not?

Thank you!

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
9,092 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 8 kg carry on weight limits on Egypt Air?

It depends on your check-in airport's policy and the staff

The 8 kg limit is there to stop overloading the overhead lockers and to allow every passenger to take something on board.

Imagine it if everyone wanted to do the same as you?

Royston
Level Contributor
1,930 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 8 kg carry on weight limits on Egypt Air?

I wouldn't want your bag falling on my head! ;)

Thomson weigh hand luggage so it would not surprise me if others did too. Abide by the rules or you could find yourself having to check the lot into the hold.

UK
Level Contributor
810 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 8 kg carry on weight limits on Egypt Air?

EgyptAir has always struck me as one of the most lenient providers when it comes to carry on luggage. I've seen people with an incredible amount of stuff. Having said that, your flight might prove an exception, so I suggest you check out the cost per additional kg, as a standby. I checked this last December and was suprised tby how inexpensive it appeared.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,092 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 8 kg carry on weight limits on Egypt Air?

I would say 'we use', but it is really 'Mrs eLaReF uses' Egyptair BECAUSE of their hold luggage allowances!

We had 2 x 23kg allowance each on our last LHR-LXR flights as well as the 8Kg hand baggae.

Ulaanbaatar...
Destination Expert
for Cairo
Level Contributor
2,254 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 8 kg carry on weight limits on Egypt Air?

FWIW I've been on that JFK flight a couple of times, and lots of domestic travel, and never had carry-on weighed. Though I'm not sure how big a backpack that is- seems like they might call you on it if it's like a hiking pack. Worst case is you try and they force you to check it.

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
881 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 8 kg carry on weight limits on Egypt Air?

Egyptair is more lenient than you can imagine, and they NEVER weight the carry on luggage.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,092 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 8 kg carry on weight limits on Egypt Air?

Maybe at Cairo - Heathrow and other airports outside Egypt are a totally different thing!

Which is why #1's 1st line is worded as it is.

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
881 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 8 kg carry on weight limits on Egypt Air?

Yeah, I know "eLaReF". I was talking about Cairo airport.

Kent
Destination Expert
for Egypt
Level Contributor
4,516 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 8 kg carry on weight limits on Egypt Air?

My guess is, that if your bag is large, and it looks heavy, then at some stage you are going to be asked to check it in.

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
502 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 8 kg carry on weight limits on Egypt Air?

For most if not all of the airlines operating between Europe and Egypt the standard for hand luggage is 8 kg, some are even less. Most airlines, except the budget carriers, do not bother checking if that limit has been exceeded unless the hand luggage looks clearly large and bulky. I presume that the same applies to European and Egyptian flights to the States, though the American carriers seem to use dimensions as opposed to weight to limit hand luggage.