We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

All tourist locations re-opened today

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
881 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
All tourist locations re-opened today

Just saw it on the news, all tourist locations re-opened today including the ones in Cairo.

Midlands
Level Contributor
145 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: All tourist locations re-opened today

Oh.-------I bet I'm the only person to think this, but, really I can't see that this is a good idea.

I'd read that the archaeological sites and museums were being closed to protect them during unrest, and from oportunist theft, vandalism etc. The situation has not changed, presumably the sites etc are still as vunerable today as yesterday. I would also think that the security forces have better things to do at this time,than look after and police the few tourists who will venture out, and put themselves in a vulnerable position.

sydney
Level Contributor
33 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: All tourist locations re-opened today

That's great news!!! I'm heading over next week. Is their an official statement I can find about this??

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
881 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: All tourist locations re-opened today

Found some but in Arabic, you will need to use Google translate or something:

www1.youm7.com/News.asp…

http://www.almasalla.travel/News-102274.html

sydney
Level Contributor
33 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: All tourist locations re-opened today

thanks for the links.. they seem to be posted yesterday though... is it still correct information?

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
881 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: All tourist locations re-opened today

Yeah I noticed that. As I said I saw it on the news on TV, and I keep looking online to find any updates on the matter. Seems today protests are the main concern.

Ulaanbaatar...
Destination Expert
for Cairo
Level Contributor
2,249 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: All tourist locations re-opened today

Today is not looking good.

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
881 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: All tourist locations re-opened today

Agree. I am staying home today and monitoring the situation.

sydney
Level Contributor
33 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: All tourist locations re-opened today

Please keep us updated with what's happening today and any news on monument closures etc thank you

Midlands
Level Contributor
145 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: All tourist locations re-opened today

There is this-

…ahram.org.eg/NewsContent/…-looted.aspx

seems to imply at end that Wednesday's decision to close may have been lifted yesterday- but if the main point of the article is not exagerated I doubt museums will remain open -guarenteed- for the coming weeks. I certainly would'nt base a decision to travel on the hope they stay open.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
8,913 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: All tourist locations re-opened today

SP64SP

Re looting of archaeological sites, the museum at Mallawi was apparently raided yesterday and many items taken

I was near there in June when we visited Tuna el Gebel & Tel el Amarna and had I known it had a museum, would have gone. Looks like I'm too late now