We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Egypt Safety for Americans?

Saratoga Springs...
Level Contributor
18 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Egypt Safety for Americans?

I was wondering the safety for Americans traveling to Egypt?

I went to Cairo in Nov 2011 and had to leave due to political unrest... things were getting pretty out of hand while I was there. Would like to go back and see the rest!

Thanks.

Kent
Destination Expert
for Egypt
Level Contributor
4,418 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Egypt Safety for Americans?

Valgal, It might be an idea to PM modesto, he might be able to give you specific advice.

Ulaanbaatar...
Destination Expert
for Cairo
Level Contributor
2,250 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Egypt Safety for Americans?

Hi, if you're asking if being American presents additional risk than the overall political situation, my answer as an American living here is no, not at all. Egyptians understand that we are not individually responsible for the policies that they don't like our government for. I've never felt threatened because of my nationality or felt compelled to hide it.

The larger question...about what will happen in X number of weeks or months and whether it will be safe and how likely it is that your trip might be disrupted...I really don't know how to answer anymore. Depends a lot on your idea of safety and willingness to pay attention to events and possibly adjust your plans accordingly. I feel that with some basic precautions I'm as safe or safer here than any major city in the US.

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,025 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Egypt Safety for Americans?

I have been around Americans in Egypt and I can confirm that their nationality is not a problem. In fact I heard an Egyptian tell an American that Egyptians are not stupid, they do not blame individual tourists for the policies of their government, even if they dislike those policies.

As Modesto says, the broader question is difficult. I once looked this up and discovered the homicide rate in Egypt was lower than in New Zealand.

Cairo, Egypt
Destination Expert
for Egypt, Cairo, Luxor, Aswan, Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
3,007 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Egypt Safety for Americans?

as all had said , there is noting to be afraid of , as here if there are any kind of problems they are mainly nothing to do with nationalities, yes yesterday there was some clashes but today I had been all the day out in the streets and passed by most of the sites where there was clashes yesterday like Dokki , Mohandesin and there was nothing and life there was completely normal, also I had been to Tahrir Square as well and life there is normal and busy, so do not be afraid and we all hope that things will calm down soon and life will be back to normality

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
329 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Egypt Safety for Americans?

Can anyone give an update on this? I live in Australia but will travel on US passport because I am not an Aussie citizen yet. I want to visit typical tourist areas but saw a travel warning recently.

Denver, Colorado
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Egypt Safety for Americans?

This is probably a bit late to help, but I wanted to report we just returned from Egypt. We felt safe and warmly welcomed. THIS IS THE TIME TO GO! Why? You may never get another chance in your lifetime to visit Luxor or the Valley of the Kings with so few people to compete with. It was heavenly and peaceful. Last year while at the Château de Versailles, we were in-between mobs of Chinese tourist that were unbearably aggressive. Same with the Louvre. Ruined the experience. I have photos of my husband and me at the Temple of Edfu and there were only approx. 20 other people on the grounds! While we were there, the news broke of the Korean tour bus. But that was in a stressed area near Israel. Luxor was mind-blowing!

I noticed at the Cairo Museum, the military has gone completely overboard with protecting the property and tourist. There were 33 tanks parked outside on Friday. Still there were no more than 30 people in the museum. People are taking the news bites from CNN and panting the country as militantly dangerous. Nothing could be further from reality.

Kensington arranged our trip. We had a difficult time finding a tour operator still handing Egypt. We were pleased with the group and would recommend them.

Ulaanbaatar...
Destination Expert
for Cairo
Level Contributor
2,250 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Egypt Safety for Americans?

Thanks for the report.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Egypt Safety for Americans?

Thanks, this post was quite a helpful read. I am traveling next March looking forward to it :-)

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Egypt Safety for Americans?

It is important to check the reviews of the people who have been recently to Egypt

Could you check this please tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294201-i9404-k721…

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Egypt Safety for Americans?

Well I can tell you as far as Luxor & aswan are for now Visa debit cards are ok also credit cards But not American Express.We were there just a few days ago and that I can tell you.Also Cairo the same dito

.I am an American also who now lives in Egypt 11 months at least per year Don't buy what the liberal news

& Obama adm how bad it is here,there are a few small protest with the brotherhood but thank god for Field Marshal General CC he will bring this beautiful country back like it was a few years ago And I see and talk to a lot of

Europe All UK Irish Swiss Demark Italians Asians Germans Russians Canadia Latin Americans who come here and are just fine Hope I have been some help ? I hope my spelling is not to bad it has been a long day l Have a great stay And tell all your friends about it