We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

arabian surgeon fish

Port Talbot, United...
14 posts
Save Topic
arabian surgeon fish

Can anyone explain why this fish is not flagged up as dangerous in sharm .?

after some really enjoyable days of snorkeling at Naama bay l decided instead to have a paddle in an area where lots of fish can be seen in the shallows must have been just bellow the knee in water

when WHAM !!!! something struck the back of my ankle that sent a searing pain up my leg

feeling of nausea and the inability to use my leg all in the blink of an eye.

anyway after three hours of plastic surgery to reconnect my achilles heel tendon at south sinai

hospital were the surgeon explianed that, this is the work of the surgeon fish tail ( not a fish bite that l had first though ) it has a retractable blade near the base of the tail that will slicelike a surgeons

knife, and will attack if your in his territory, he also told me he had seen this injury on the leg many many times and no mistake about the culprit.

also there had been an attack on another lady some days earlier in the same area, she also thought it was a fish bite.

even on my way out of the hotel first aid a young guy asked if l had been bitten l replied yes ( at that time l thought I had ) he replied me to......

reg john

so why isnt someone making people aware of the danger!!!!!!!!!!

Port Talbot, United...
14 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: arabian surgeon fish

Hi

just to make people aware the exact location of this fish attack was directly alongside the pipeline

that runs directly into the sea between the jollie ville resort and the ghazala beach/gardens resorts

two attacks in four days...... in very shallow water!!!!....

I really do not wish to be an alarmist but people should be made aware of the presence of this fish.

The whole of the administrative staff at qhazala garden know all about this fish and its location.

why then, are people not given this information? Surely it is the decisions of the parents to decide were thier

Children should take a paddle, when they have the benefit of all the facts.....

Reg John

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
9,021 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: arabian surgeon fish

You can delete your duplicated posting by clicking the 'report inappropriate' link at the bottom of them and choosing 'delete my post'

This will save answers getting spread amongst the two of them with no coherent thread to follow

Else 'the community' might step in and vote them off?

Edited: 22 November 2013, 15:46
Port Talbot, United...
14 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: arabian surgeon fish

Hi

I am more than happy to let my comments stand, duplicate or otherwise.for l firmly believe that a truthful account of all holiday experience, negative or positive, should stand the scrutiny of the people that

make the most use of them.

The general public.

However should you choose to delete this important lnformation, then go right ahead and do it.

reg

John

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
9,021 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: arabian surgeon fish

I'm not advocating deleting it as a form of censorship!!

Duplicate posts cause confusion when one person replies to one and doesn't see the replies to the other.

I agree re warning people.

You COULD write Traveller article - in the SHARM Forum - headed something like 'Dangers when Swimming' or similar and get it added to the Top Questions then it would be there for the forseeable future. Mind you, you still need to get people to read it!

A forum topic like this one just gets moved down the pile & forgotten.

P.S. DE's have as much power as an ordinary member re deleting posts - i.e. very little

Edited: 22 November 2013, 18:34
Port Talbot, United...
14 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: arabian surgeon fish

Hi

Good advice, not the best of reading I agree.

Best intrests of all at heart...

Reg john

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
502 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: arabian surgeon fish

I never knew that.

I have only seen surgeon fish, and they are one of my favourites, on the top and along the edges of reefs, never in shallow water.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
161 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: arabian surgeon fish

Thanks, John, for your information.

I hope that you have recovered (must have been awful for you).

Hope your post makes others aware of the dangers.

Edited: 23 November 2013, 01:04
Port Talbot, United...
14 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: arabian surgeon fish

Hi

Thanks for your kind response

The whole experience has given me a real dilemma .

Fisrt time for my wife and l to visit sharm el shiekh, snorkeling in warm clear water was my principle reason for this visit.

It was everything l had hoped for and a whole lot more.

l thought Naama bay was the best fun ever.

The eygptian people were great company, with a sense of humour that relaxed us altogether.

It was not a matter of would we return? Just when.

This painful and ongoing (the medical opinion estimates eighteen months to recover muscle wastage and fitness ) episode has given me the time to reflect on the chances of a repeat occurence.

So if l do decide to snorkel or dive in sharm again, then it will have to be in deeper water,sharm in the future.

That l think would be a safer bet than a shallow coral and sand bottem where these fish a visible on a daily bases, l think these conditions present to easy a target.

l would also like to add that before my sharm trip l had limited experience of both snorkeling and fish of this type.

I would also welcome any professional guidance from the diving community.

Because make no mistake l need as much reassurance as the next person.

reg john

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,794 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: arabian surgeon fish

OMG Thats scary ...Thanks for posting as otherwise i would not of thought about such attacks ...hope you feel better soon

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: arabian surgeon fish

Hi John, hopefully you are recovering. I read another post sometime were someone had to have 12 stitches above their ankle for the same reason. They are beautiful fish but I am also very wary of them.