We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day time train for tourists?

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
48 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Day time train for tourists?

I see the sleeper trains are back running now but are ridiculously expensive. Does anyone know whether tourists can still get on the day time trains say between Cairo and Luxor? I know there are ways round it as I've read on Seat 61 but maybe conductors are stricter about the whole 'no tourists on the daytime train' now? Cheers

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Day time train for tourists?

I think tourists are allowed only to be on the night trains to be well secured

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
188 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day time train for tourists?

Did day time early morning from Aswan to Luxor last week, no problem, but then its only a short trip, 3 and half hours, on local train

Cairo, Egypt
Destination Expert
for Egypt, Cairo, Luxor, Aswan, Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
3,031 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day time train for tourists?

it is still not allowed for tourists to board day trains from Cairo to Luxor or Aswan , but can at same time board day trains from Luxor to Aswan , as these day trains are actually the night trains coming from Cairo they arrive to Luxor starting from 5 am

you may better book a regular seated train from Cairo to Luxor or Aswan that run overnight, they are allowed

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
48 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day time train for tourists?

Thanks for the help. Any idea how much the overnight train costs with just regular seating?

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cairo, Egypt, Nile River Valley, Luxor
Level Contributor
8,878 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day time train for tourists?

The most up to date information is on this website, it says $31 or £21 on first class air conditioned seat on the sleeper train.

http://www.seat61.com/Egypt.htm#Cairo - Luxor - Aswan

Edited: 04 January 2014, 22:21
6. Re: Day time train for tourists?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 January 2015, 06:19