We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Egypt Air Manchester to Johannesburg

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Egypt Air Manchester to Johannesburg

Just checking prices for flights to J'Burg in Business Class. Best price is Egypt Air, but no nothing of them. Anybody flown with them lately? How was the experience?

Ulaanbaatar...
Destination Expert
for Cairo
Level Contributor
2,255 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Egypt Air Manchester to Johannesburg

They're...ok? I don't know. A lot of people will bash them and they're certainly not within the top tier of comfortable, on time, and customer-friendly airlines, but I don't find them particularly bad either. I take the Cairo - New York flight occasionally and it's no better or worse than being stuck in any of the other brand tubes for 11 hours. The terminal you'd transfer at is the newest at the airport and pretty nice and easy. I think if you're flying business and it's the best option, there's no reason not to book with them specifically.

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
1,912 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Egypt Air Manchester to Johannesburg

Whilst I can't advise on the CA - JNB service, the Manchester - Cairo leg is quite comfortable, bearing in mind that it's a narrow bodied aircraft (generally one of their newer Boeing 737-800's) that they use on the route. So, whilst you don't get the lie-flat seats, etc., you'd see on one of their wide-bodied aircraft, you do get a proper 2 + 2 seat (not an economy seat with the middle chair back folded down). There's plenty of legroom &, of course, the personal entertainment screen. Blankets, pillows, headphones and bottled water are all provided.

The amenity kits consist of eye shade, socks and a set of earphones Not a huge amount of goodies but not bad for a short(ish) flight either.

Food was the ubiquitous "chicken or beef", but with a good salad/starter & dessert. No wine, as it is a dry airline, but there is the option of various fruit juices and soft drinks plus tea or coffee (note that they use creamer rather than milk).

Certainly, when I last flew the route, the cabin crews on both the outbound & return legs were excellent. Smiling, friendly & making frequent tours of the cabin, to make sure everything was okay (if they saw you were awake they made certain you were okay for drinks or water).

All in all the experience was most agreeable.

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,329 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Egypt Air Manchester to Johannesburg

I rather like Egyptair. There is certainly no serious problem with it.

Cairo, Egypt
Destination Expert
for Egypt, Cairo, Luxor, Aswan, Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
3,183 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Egypt Air Manchester to Johannesburg

I know that they have now new airbus and boing flights with a seat convertble to full flat bed on business and first class

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
502 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Egypt Air Manchester to Johannesburg

I have been on the Egyptair Boeing 737 ( Cairo - Geneva ) and the Airbus 330 ( Jeddah - Cairo ), though not on the newly refurbished 737.

Seating is fine but nothing out of this world. Meals OK but again nothing special. No alcohol on board. The Terminal 3 at Cairo is pretty good for transit though Business lounges are not the same class as in Europe.

Look at lufthansa and Emirates. They might be slightly more in cost - but it depends on when you are going - but offer better facilities in the lounges at Frankfurt and Dubai. The Manchester - Frankfurt flight is under two hours and so is a 737, but the flight to SA is an Airbus 380, whilst Emirates uses the 777 on both flights. Personally I would go for one of these options unless the saving on Egyptair is very big.

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
188 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Egypt Air Manchester to Johannesburg

Flew with them Johannesburg Cairo in December retjrn January 2014, return trip I was upgraded to business class due to overbooking in economy class, no problem, good service, 8 hour flight only 23:00 land 7: 30 in morning so sleep all the way, seats covrted well to sleepers, se4vice good, as was said before, no alchohol.

7. Re: Egypt Air Manchester to Johannesburg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 January 2015, 05:18