We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Difficulty Booking Egypt Air Flights

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
209 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Difficulty Booking Egypt Air Flights

Hi there,

I've been attempting to book domestic flights with Egypt Air for the past couple of days, but my cards have continually been declined; this is true on the Egypt Air website, Expedia, and Price line.

Has anyone else had this experience? Is it that all of my banks are hypersensitive about Egypt, or is Egypt Air's payment processing system a bit of a nightmare?

In addition to the flight difficulties, this whole situation has me worried that I won't be able to access my account through ATMs while in Egypt.

Does anyone know a workaround for the Egypt Air ticketing issue? And has anyone had issues withdrawing money off their debit while in Egypt, despite putting a travel note on their account?

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
1,638 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Difficulty Booking Egypt Air Flights

I've had similar issues in the past, which were due to hypersensitivity on the part of my bank with regard any overseas purchase ((this didn't only apply to Egyptair ticket, I should point out, but even to goods and services purchased in France and Germany).

Normally, it can be sorted out over the telephone, if you have access to telephone banking (it being Easter weekend and all).

I've never had problems making card purchases when in Egypt itself, but there have been issues with booking, pre-paid, hotel rooms, in Egypt, from the UK. Neither of the banks involved could figure out why the interbank systems were refusing the talk to one another properly, but the hotel and myself managed to find a work around.

Best bet is to inform your bank &/or card providers that you will be visiting Egypt between specific dates and that you are therefore highly likely to be using your cards in that country.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
9,087 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Difficulty Booking Egypt Air Flights

Never had a problem using my card in Egypt, but I have to confess that I usually book EgyptAir via the RBS travel department anyway. (They give me 10% discount on the Egyptair price)

I did tell them the first few times, but assume they've got the general idea now.

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
98 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Difficulty Booking Egypt Air Flights

It happened with me a few months ago with one of my visa credit cards . It got declined and when I called them they told me that visa does not like to deal with Egypt air because they have had way too many problems with them . After talking to a supervisor they finally managed to let the charge go through ..

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
209 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Difficulty Booking Egypt Air Flights

It's the strangest thing. When I initially booked with Egypt Air (JFK-CAI), I had difficulties but presumed it was my bank; I called and still had the same difficulties, then tried using my smartphone to make the same purchase using Google Wallet (tied to the same debit card) and it worked.

Since then, I've gotten no love, Google Wallet or otherwise.

I live in NYC--I wonder if I can purchase tickets at the Egypt Air Brick and Mortar office here?

West Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
1,404 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Difficulty Booking Egypt Air Flights

I had a similar problem buying some domestic flights on the Egyptair website. I tried and tried to no avail. I eventually contacted Egyptair's closest office to where I lived and did most of the selection and picking flights via email and paid via the phone.

Debit card worked well in Egypt. The only obstacle we faced was that some bank's ATMs would not work with our card. We found a bank that the card would work at and consistently used it throughout our time there.

6. Re: Difficulty Booking Egypt Air Flights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 April 2015, 05:17