We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pyramid of Giza and the Great Sphinx

Waco, Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Topic
Pyramid of Giza and the Great Sphinx

My mom and I are going to visit Egypt in about 3 weeks and of course we want to see the Pyramid of Giza and the Great Sphinx. I was just wondering if going to see the Pyramid of Giza and the Great Sphinx alone was okay? Do we need to go with a tour? Also what is the best time of day to go?

Memphis Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips, Historical & Heritage Tours, Cultural Tours
Egypt Tailor Made Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Multi-day Tours, Private Tours, Photography Tours, Day Trips
Emo Tours Egypt
City Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours, Other Outdoor Activities
Falcon Adventure
Boat Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Safaris, Sightseeing Tours
U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,931 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pyramid of Giza and the Great Sphinx

The pyramid of Khufu - the "Great" pyramid - and the Sphinx are both on the same site at Giza. There is no need to take a tour or use a guide. I don't know if there is a "best" time to visit the site but I prefer to go first thing in the morning when it is relatively cool, and stay until about 1600 as there is so much to see.

Ulaanbaatar...
Destination Expert
for Cairo
Level Contributor
2,255 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pyramid of Giza and the Great Sphinx

pausilypon is right, you can absolutely do it on your own. And yeah it will be hot and sunny (so like spending a day out in Texas summer...). The one warning I'd give is that you will get pestered aggressively by "guides", vendors, shop owners, camel ride salespeople. They're not dangerous, but you do have to be firm in fending them off. Some people are comfortable with that and others aren't. If you'd rather not deal with it, or at least not nearly as much, then hire somebody. It's not all that much more expensive than what you'll pay for taxis, which is the only practical way to get there. (not trying to talk you into a guide or tour at all, I'm generally an independent traveler, but to each their own)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,348 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Pyramid of Giza and the Great Sphinx

I've been a couple of times with a private driver - no guide. The advantage of a driver is that you don't need to try to negotiate a taxi afterwards back to your hotel. There will be plenty of taxis waiting to take advantage of you!!

West Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
1,789 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pyramid of Giza and the Great Sphinx

When we were last at the Giza Pyramids we went with a private driver. He gave us advise on how to get through the mob at the entrance and actually went with us to the ticket booth and part way to the Kufu Pyramid.

5. Re: Pyramid of Giza and the Great Sphinx

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 May 2015, 06:17