We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do you need to prove your electronic devices work before boa

Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Topic
Do you need to prove your electronic devices work before boa

Hi can anyone confirm whether your phone's and tablets etc need be charged and shown to be able to switch them on and off before boarding the flight?

I actually thought it was just American in bound flights but got told something different.

Thank you

Www.twitter.com/petershaw1984

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
9,501 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do you need to prove your electronic devices work before boa

Airport security has no idea which plane you are getting (although they do scan your boarding cards)

It should be equal misery for all, I'm afraid.

Put them in your hold baggage?

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
1,858 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do you need to prove your electronic devices work before boa

The advice to travellers from the UK, presented by Egyptair is as follows:

"N.B : Passengers flying from/to or via UK airports may be asked to turn on any of their electrical or battery-powered devices such as telephones, tablets, e-books and laptops in front of the security teams and/or demonstrate the item's functionality.

Please do all you can to ensure that items you bring with you are fully charged before you arrive at the airport.

Please do not bring any broken devices in your hand luggage to the airport as they will not be able to travel as planned."

Whilst the UK Government advice is to be found here:

https:/…aviation-security-update

Although it states that the requirement to turn on electrical devises only applies to those boarding flights to some destinations, those destinations aren't revealed, so it's probably best to work on the basis that you are going to be asked to turn them on, rather than risk not being allowed to carry them in you hand luggage.

Barnsley, United...
Level Contributor
367 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Do you need to prove your electronic devices work before boa

We flew from Manchester 4th July, nightmare going through security, took ages due to new checks and trainees, hopefully should be better now. Info on signs then said that keys, phones in hand luggage anything above 20cm to be scanned separate, my partners camera was taken out of the camera bag swabbed and re scanned. Not sure about battery being fully charged, I charged mine before leaving home.

4. Re: Do you need to prove your electronic devices work before boa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2015, 06:16