We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

nationality

North Van.
Level Contributor
84 posts
1 review
Save Topic
nationality

Why is it I always get asked,

Please advise of your "Nationality "

Is that how prices are set ?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: nationality

Locals like to chat with foreigners. In many cases, that is for the motive of selling them something. Sometimes, it is just to have fun and practice their English.

For the locals, a foreigner is a stranger. A stranger comes from "somewhere else". Asking about that somewhere else is seen to e the optimum way of breaking the ice. It is as simple as that.

Nuweiba, Egypt
Level Contributor
2,176 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: nationality

.... or the more usual form of the question being :

Where you from ?

As Darsh says, often sellers wll start off with that line, partly to see how much they can charge for their goods in the shops, ( they assume a German or an American will pay more than a Russian or a Ukrainian for example ), and partly to try and get a closer relationship with the tourist, ( assuming then that it will be easier to sell something ), by then saying that he loves whatever nationality you say you are, or that he finds your home town to be very nice or he has a relative living near to your home town.

At police check-points, when I drive to and from Cairo from Nuweiba or around Sinai, I also get this same question from the police. Partly to give the impression to foreigners that security is very tight, ( mind you, in Sinai, they have been asking these same questions since a long time only they have more check points now than before ), partly out of boredom as often these poor police foot soldiers stay for hours with nothing to do but to wait for cars to pass, and also for statistics that they are making, ( I suspect that they get higher police budgets if they can show statistically more and more foreigners are travelling along those roads ).

Of course, when they do pose the above question to me, I simply answer... "Nuweiba" ( or, maybe, Cairo if going in the other direction ), which usually leads then to confusion as they can not ask"which nationality I am ! :-)

Then of course, the travel companies ask you what nationality you are, and I guess that is what you are referring to here, as they have different pricing structures for different nationalities according to the price sensitivity of the outbound travel markets of each country. Whether this is right or wrong is questionable, but then other industries do the same ( i.e. the motor industry have different prices in different countries for exactly the same car or the pharmaceutical companies who blatantly overcharge for their products in wealthy countries ).

3. Re: nationality

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2009, 04:17