We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Mosque to hit & light show ?

NYC
Level Contributor
102 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Which Mosque to hit & light show ?

For my trip to egypt- i'll have 2 days in cairo- one to do the pyramids and i'll arrive in cairo the first day at 12- i plan to hit the market, & walk around Islamic Cairo- i will only have time to go to one of the mosques- which would you choose of the following:

Mosque of Ibn Tulin, Al Azhar Mosque-24 hours, Alabaster Mosque (a.k.a. Mosque of Mohammed Ali)

Also- day 2 going to the pyramids- i wanted to see them at night- i hear the light show is cheesy- but wanted to see at night- the later shows aren't in english- is that a bit deal?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Mosque to hit & light show ?

I vote for Azhar although Alabaster Mosque might look more impressive, but the Azhar is bigger and has various sectiosn each added during a different historic period so they reflect various kinds of archtecture. By the way, as far as I know, it is not open for 24 hours. I was there with a friend last winter after sunset and they told yus they close to tourists after sunset. Only prayers are allowed after that.

Cairo, Egypt
Destination Expert
for Egypt, Cairo, Luxor, Aswan, Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
3,145 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Mosque to hit & light show ?

Darsh is right, the mosque is not open for tourists 24 hours a day, just limited time, but as you will arrive to Cairo as you said by 12, so and all archaeological sites (like the other 2 mosques you asked) will close around 4:00 pm then i think your chance will remain to AL Azhar

sound and light is nice, but it cant be instead of a real visit, you cna see the full timetable for shows at the webpage

http://www.egyptsandl.com/

NYC
Level Contributor
102 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Mosque to hit & light show ?

What about Ibn Tulin- i know you can climb the minaret and there's supposedly good views. That's good to know they aren't open as much as in the guide books- i'll have to keep that in mind.

We are going to do the next day at the pyramids- so i'm not relying on the night visit as the only visit - am i better off doing day/night in one day since i'll be there- or splitting it up- night before then following day. I don't want pyramid overload but i think it would be great to see it at night. Thanks for any insights.

NYC
Level Contributor
102 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Mosque to hit & light show ?

Also- how late is khan al khalili open- i haven't been able to find anything on that. Thanks.

Oak Park, Illinois
Level Contributor
320 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Mosque to hit & light show ?

Ibn Tulun is the only mosque I went to see, so I can't give an opinion about the others. It is awesome. Really ancient; simple, beautiful designs; massive; on a hill surrounded by quaint old Cairo alleys. I didn't have time to climb the minaret but it does seem to have a great view.

It might make sense to do the whole Giza/pyramid visit in one day. That way you wouldn't have to do so much driving around. There are plenty of restaurants near the pyramids where you could have dinner before the sound & light show. If your hotel is in Giza, though, it really won't matter whether you do the pyramid visit on the first afternoon or the next morning because you'll be in Giza in the morning anyway. But if your hotel in in Zamalek or the east side of the Nile, you probably won't want to cross over more times than you have to.

Oak Park, Illinois
Level Contributor
320 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Mosque to hit & light show ?

The Khan stays open quite late, at least until midnight.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Mosque to hit & light show ?

Ibn Tulun is of course important, but you asked for one mosque.

If you visit Ibn Tulun, look at the close bye Gyer Anderson Museum.

The shops in the Khan are open till midnight. Caf4s and eating places still open almost 24 hours.

Unless you will attend the sound and light show, don't go especially to just "see" the Pyramids at night as they are not lit up all the time.

Maine
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Which Mosque to hit & light show ?

Hi Julieod,

We went to Egypt over New Year's and had an amazing time. We hit the sound & light show the first night and found it really cheesy (cheesier than we were braced for.) We learned afterward, that you can eat dinner on the upper roof of Pizza Hut - weird but true - and have both an amazing view of the pyramids and still hear everything from the light show. (Just do tip the PH server a little extra.) Will definitely do it that way when we go back.

Have a great time,

Mainegirl

Jurong, Singapore
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which Mosque to hit & light show ?

hie2 julieod,

still decidin on wich mosque 2 visit..well it's up to you to choose u see..hmm wanna share wif you tis..durin' the last dec vacation..i'd been to cairo and already visited all the three above mentioned mosques..hehe..all i can say is tat they're all unique.! the azhar mosque is big and spacious but to me, my favourite of all is the mohd ali mosque(alibaster mosque)..the first tink u look at it, it was like a 3-in-1 plc to be..from far it looks like a castle and ther's a mosque and the great historical story behind it..very grand in deed..and u gotta see the inside too..wow it's just nice..to sum up all things-u gotta visit the gawhara palace also, wich is in the same premise only a walking distance away..the view too from up there was awesome..well u gotta check it out..hav a nice trip tough.. =D

best of luck

ami =)

NYC
Level Contributor
102 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which Mosque to hit & light show ?

Thanks for all the advice- they all seem so interesting- i'll make the market the last stop since it's open late. THanks for that pizza hut tip for the light show- very funny!