We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much to pay for a camel ride in and around Giza

Sterling, Virginia
Level Contributor
370 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
How much to pay for a camel ride in and around Giza

Hello All,

How much should I expect to pay for a camel ride in and around the pyramids - going from one pyramid to the other.

Please let me know

thx

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cairo, Egypt, Nile River Valley, Luxor
Level Contributor
9,323 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much to pay for a camel ride in and around Giza

Hi Lord,

I haven't used a camel to go between pyramids (not all that comfortable in my humble opinion). There are lots of touts around the pyramids, some are dodgy and very persistent. We paid about 40LE for a short camel ride (about 15 mins) that was enough to get the experience. He took our photos with our cameras and then asked for baksheesh,lol. Negotiate a price and dont pay till the end. I have heard stories about some that offer a cheap price and then take you out into the desert a bit and then say that was for one way only.

If you do want to have a "longer" ride, there are stables behind the grandstand near sphinx, that have reputable operators, the animals are in good condition and you are less likely to be conned.

We hired a taxi from the Mena House in August for 30LE, he took us to each pyramid and the sphinx waited for us, didnt rush us, just hung out with his friends while we sauntered around, then took us back to the hotel, we gave him a good tip because he was so nice and it was really hot. We had to pay 2LE for his taxi to be allowed on to the complex. Very cheap less than $8.00 Australian for a couple of hours in 40C, even cheaper for you!

Nefertari

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How much to pay for a camel ride in and around Giza

30-40 LE maximum for one animal should be enough to get you a ride around the three pyramids.

Make sure you agree with the camel keeper on the duration and the rout and the price of the ride before you start. Leave the payment to the end and if the camel driver does not abide by the deal, don't abide by the price you agreed upon and in case of any problems threaten to get the tourist police.

Don't be frightened. It s safe but it is just tough haggeling with them.

Cairo, Egypt
Destination Expert
for Egypt, Cairo, Luxor, Aswan, Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
3,032 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much to pay for a camel ride in and around Giza

regarding Camel ride, it depend how long you are staying in and what you do, for example if you will have a tour from the Panorama view till the 3rd Pyramid, which take about 20 minutes, for this you can pay 20 Egyptian pounds per person, if you will take it till the second pyramid then it can come up to 30 egyptian pounds

agree with Darsh in way of payment, it must be at end of the trip and complete satisfacion

So many people are all over the place that will offer you a camel ride, so you can bargain and compare.

have a nice trip

4. Re: How much to pay for a camel ride in and around Giza

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2009, 22:18