We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Egyptian mummies at the British Museum & Cairo trip

London, United...
Level Contributor
401 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Egyptian mummies at the British Museum & Cairo trip

Took my grandson to see the Egyptian mummies in the British Museum in London today as we are going to Hurghada this week and plan to do a trip to Cairo to the pyramids, sphinx and museum.

Although I have been to the British Museum before, it was many years ago, before I had travelled to Egypt and had seen the splendour of the temples in their natural beauty, I was quite shocked today at how much of Egypt and many other countries' past histories we keep on display here!

Can anyone recommend a tour company for Cairo sightseeing, please? Would be prepared to pay more for one who doesn't insist in taking tourists to perfume shops/papyrus institutes also.

Mentioned in this post
Hurghada
Hurghada
Red Sea and Sinai, Egypt
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
Viva Egypt Tour
Sightseeing Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
Vacations To Go Travel
Cultural Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Maestro Online Travel Egypt - Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Day Trips
Bes Egypt Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Egyptian mummies at the British Museum & Cairo trip

try www.springtours.com or any other company getting good reviews from other travelers here.

Make ut clear you don't want to be taken to perfume shops etc and say that simply iof they take you you will not leave the car or the bus! This will make them lose hope. I don't think big companies like springtours do that anyway.

As for the British Museum, thanks for raising the isue. I hope that one day there will be more awareness with such an issue amongst the British people. The items you saw there were all taken from Egypt when it was a British colony and they must be returned to where they belong. I have been there as well and I was shocked to see how many items there are in the Egyptian wing.

In all cases, thank you for your concern and please try to always remind people you talk to about this issue as one day maybe there will be enough fair people out there in the UK who can move their government to take the right decision and return those items back.

Mentioned in this post
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
2,089 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Egyptian mummies at the British Museum & Cairo trip

Darsh I don't think it will ever happen. Greece has been demanding the return of the Elgin Marbles also. There is even a pamphlet explaining the whole situation and their reasons for not returning them. If they even returned one item it would set a precedent and everybody would want all their stuff back. The museum would just be one big empty building. I don't want to sound rude but at least the British Museum takes better care of the things they have "found". The Egyptian museum is sadly in need of at least a fresh coat of paint. All the descriptions are yellowed from being there for so long.

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Egyptian mummies at the British Museum & Cairo trip

but the Greek museums are surely better. It is not about taking care of things. The new Egyptian museum will be ready in a few years. I don't think anything will be returned when this happens and "finding" something does not entail owning it. That is, if we assume that those items were found as you suppose and not stolen or smuggled, which is true in many cases.

The UNESCO has clear rules on that issue stating the right of all nations to ask for the return for antiquities that were found on their land.

The British Museum should exhibit the British culture and heritage and if that was not enough to keep it alive, it is neither my problem nor the Greeks' problem, is it?

The whole issue is a commercial thing. They know that they will lose lots of money if they return the stuff. They are not ready to afford this now, but one day this will change. Only yesterday, the MPs voted for House of the Lords to be fully elected. Who imagined that this could happen? With time, more rights are realized and granted while more traditional ideas are given away. Maybe Egypt needs some more effort on the public relations part, but I feel that at one point in the near or far future, some progress could be made.

Nottingham
Level Contributor
1,312 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Egyptian mummies at the British Museum & Cairo trip

I feel quite ashamed that we have so much of Egypt's history in our country. It does not belong here, and i hope that it will be returned some day.

Jan

5. Re: Egyptian mummies at the British Museum & Cairo trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2009, 23:20