We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport transportation

Level Contributor
3 posts
33 reviews
Airport transportation

Can anyone tell me if we can safely take a taxi from Cairo International airport to our hotel? Do the cab drivers speak English?

10 replies to this topic
Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
2,220 posts
26 reviews
1. Re: Airport transportation

You don't indicate where you're based, but I always find it easier just to pre-book the transport, as it saves having to haggle over the cost of a taxi; yes, they should all have meters but this isn't always the case It also leaves you less at the mercy of touts, who will, literally, pounce on you the minute you exit the customs hall.

Personally, I use the Airport Shuttle Bus ( https://www.cairoshuttlebus.com/ ) to get from the airport to a city centre hotel, and have always found them to be reliable. They have the added advantage that, thanks to their website, you can pay before you arrive. Although this can change, due to inflation and increases in fuel costs, I paid LE140 (very approximately £7 Sterling) from the airport to the banks of the Nile, just north of 6 October Bridge, in late August this year.

Others have used the "London Cab" company; sorry but I can't find a link for them, and have also reported that they are reliable and reasonably priced. With luck someone should be able to provide contact details.

2. Re: Airport transportation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 18 October 2017, 06:05

Cairo, Egypt
Destination Expert
for Cairo
Level Contributor
1,968 posts
12 reviews
3. Re: Airport transportation

Self ads are not allowed here btw Ahmed !

Level Contributor
3 posts
33 reviews
4. Re: Airport transportation

Thank you. We are staying at the Conrad Hilton. They are asking $80. Per person for transport to the hotel, which seemed pretty high to me.

Rickmansworth...
Level Contributor
937 posts
59 reviews
5. Re: Airport transportation

$80 is steep. I'm just organising a load of transports for myself at the moment and http://www.thebluecab.com/ was recommended to me on here. I've found them very professional and they respond quickly using their contact us form on their website. Have a great trip.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
6. Re: Airport transportation

We did this trip a few days ago after landing at 4.30am. Our hotel also quoted around 75 dollars which we thought was ridiculous, so we decided to risk getting an uber. It wasn't hassle free - obviously you need roaming, and it was tricky for us to to identify our car by the Arabic number plate. In the end we rang the driver and found him OK though. It was definitely worth it as it only cost 70 Egyptian pounds so was a massive saving.

Level Contributor
3 posts
33 reviews
7. Re: Airport transportation

Thank you all! I booked through Cairo Airport Shuttle for $25. Per person.

Cairo, Egypt
Destination Expert
for Egypt, Cairo, Luxor, Aswan, Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
3,354 posts
47 reviews
8. Re: Airport transportation

25$ is still too much as it is per person, Airport Shuttle should cost around 200-300 Egyptian pound for the whole van for all persons in it. if you can cancel it without penalty it will make you lots of saving. Uber is great saving for such a trip

Nuweiba
Destination Expert
for Nuweiba, Dahab, South Sinai
Level Contributor
2,600 posts
4 reviews
9. Re: Airport transportation

US$ 25 might sound too much but at least you have then a fixed price.

Although Uber works well there is no guarantee of the final price in advance - on some days Uber can get fairly expensive though of course much less than US$ 50 ( assuming two persons ). Not all drivers speak English and the driver will almost certainly have to wait outside the terminal and not inside which makes it all rather more complicated and a hassle.

I would recommend going with the Cairo Airport Shuttle for someone visiting for the first time.

Lancashire, England
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
159 reviews
10. Re: Airport transportation

Me too! I used them for the first time in March and could kick myself for not having used them before. The service was excellent and extremely good value for money. I wouldn't use anyone else now.

Thanks again for the recommendation, GParry!

Reply to: Airport transportation
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted