We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cramming too much in Egypt?

1 post
2 reviews
Cramming too much in Egypt?

I will be in the greek islands from October 1-9. My ticket from US to Athens is October 1-September 14th. Rather then do another Greek island, I would like to see Egypt. I know it's not much time, but do you think I am cramming it too much if I:

Sep 9- Fly from Santorini to Cairo (7 hours due to layover in Athens.

Sep 10- Explore the Giza plateau.

Sep 11- Fly to Sharma El Sheikh (1 hour)

Sep 12- Scuba dive red sea

Sep 13- Fly back to Athens.

These are the two main things I want to do in Egypt and am ok not seeing other sites

4 replies to this topic
Cairo, Egypt
Destination Expert
for Cairo
Level Contributor
2,231 posts
12 reviews
1. Re: Cramming too much in Egypt?

Fine as long as this is what you want to do in Egypt but m thought you needed a day after diving before flying again 🤔

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Cairo
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
361 reviews
2. Re: Cramming too much in Egypt?

Check out your diving regs, isn’t there a time guidance after diving before flying?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Hurghada
Level Contributor
12,098 posts
65 reviews
3. Re: Cramming too much in Egypt?

Flying agett diving official guidance

"For repetitive dives, or multiple days of diving a minimum preflight surface interval of at least 18 hours is recommended. DAN (Divers Alert Network) recommends 24 hours for repetitive dives, The US Air Force recommends 24 hours after any dive, while the US Navy tables recommend only 2 hours before flying to altitude".

As for your itinerary...sounds busy but doable 👌🏽

Nuweiba
Destination Expert
for Nuweiba, Dahab, South Sinai
Level Contributor
2,969 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: Cramming too much in Egypt?

What time is your flight from Athens on the 14th - does it allow time for you to come back early on that day from Cairo or not. Check out different flight options... book everything with Aegean, book a one way on Aegean to Athens and then all the rest with Egyptair and so on.

Consider doing the diving the other way round as well - fly straight to Sharm via Athens/Cairo ( 9th ), dive one day ( 10th ), then rest and take an evening flight to Cairo the next day ( 11th ), tour of Pyramids and that ( 12th ), evening flight on evening of 13th at 7.30 p.m to Athens ( allows you the morning to explore other things in Egypt. If you did a morning dive on the 11th, you could fly to Cairo mid-day on the 12th, see the Pyramids late afternoon on 12th and the morning of 13th ( in which case book a hotel near Pyramids ). If you fly late out of Athens on the 14th you would have another night to play with in Egypt.

Or... swap Hurghada for Sharm as you can take a bus from Hurghada back to Cairo and not fly. You could of course do that from Sharm but the bus journey can be 1 - 2 hours longer due to the check points and the tunnel and also the road reaches over a thousand feet in places.

In fact, if you use Blue Bus they get you closer from or to the Giza area.

Edited: 24 September 2018, 06:37
Reply to: Cramming too much in Egypt?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted