We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Price questions

Which Cairo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nomansland, United...
Level Contributor
501 posts
181 reviews
Save Topic
Price questions

Hiya, we are a family of 6 coming to Cairo in November and need to keep the cost down, could someone could point me in the right direction for a general idea of of prices for :

Entry to Pyramids and Egyptian Museum.

A taxi for 6 from downtown to the above and back.

A camel ride

Average price for a coke or coffee etc

Is there a Zoo or anything similar in Cairo?

Hope you can help

Jo

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
4,146 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Price questions

Hello,

Interesting questions !!

Can't answer them all but will have a shot at some of them.

Cairo has a zoo, but I would not suggest that you visit it. It is a nice garden lots of tall trees of different types but the animals are not well looked after and this is rather sad. Another point is that the entrance fee is very cheap so the poorest part of the community love to go there as it is one of the few big open places that they can manage to enter, so they go in large groups picnic and make a day of it, but this involves a lot of people watching (yes that would be you).

There is a lovely Park in Cairo, which I am sure you will all love - Al Azhar Park. I have written about it, so please make a search on the site and you will find it. Less crowded, well set out, including a childrens playground and good landscaping.

Most things will not be expensive for you as the Sterling pound is worth 11.60 (approx) Egyptian Pounds. So if you have a can of coke for anything from LE 2.00 to LE 6.00 (supermarket or coffee shop) it will still be an ok price. A small carton of juice or fresh juice will cost you within the same range.

A fast food meal costs about 16.00 (combo type thing), so yet again that will be cheaper than what you pay in the Uk. Also if you go for some of the local food options it can get a lot cheaper.

I will leave the camel and taxi fares to those who know more about them !

Best regards

Wendy

Nomansland, United...
Level Contributor
501 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Price questions

Thank you Wendy, especially for the heads up on the Zoo.

Can anyone else help with general/average prices for entry etc

Also, I need a reputable jewellery store, I would like to buy some gold, I dont know what yet but would like to know that what I am buying is of good quality.

Is there a swimming pool in Cairo, we will have a few hours to spare on the day of departure

Kind regards

Jo

England
Level Contributor
724 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Price questions

It cost me approx LE150 for 3 tourist and 2 locals entry to pyramids.It was LE30 from Ramses Hilton to pyramids a wander around then back down town, maybe it was a bit cheaper because we had an Egyptian friend with us.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
4,146 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Price questions

Hello,

About swimming pools, you would have to consider day use at one of the hotels, there are various deals, some let you hire a cabin or just use the pool. Prices vary, but as far as I know the Novotel Hotel (at Cairo Airport) is one of the cheaper ones, and the garden is quite nice.

Some hotels charge a fee and then you can have part of it back for food and drink.

Better to check nearer the time, as things change and some may even empty the pool as it will be "winter", and it happens that they might do maintenance or cleaning.

In would be happy to make some phone calls for you in October to check this out, just contact me.

Regards

Wendy

Nomansland, United...
Level Contributor
501 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Price questions

Thanks everyone, you have been very helpful indeed.

The only thing I am stuck on now, is reputable gold shops, some names would be fantastic, or streets.

I am soooooooo excited about this trip, I don't know how on earth I am going to be able to wait until November

Nomansland, United...
Level Contributor
501 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Price questions

Sorry everyone, ignore me, I had saved a reply to a different thread in my folder and forgot about it - oooopppppp, all this excitement is going to my head

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Price questions

That leaves you with a little detail not answered: The taxi prices:

The Museum is already downtown so it will cost 5 LE maximum to get there from other parts of the area.

For the pyramids it should cost you 20 LE each way with the black and white cabs, but I suggest you take the yellow cab from the rank in Tahrir square and make use of the A/C and the meter.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
4,146 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Price questions

About the swimming pool at the Novotel, I phoned there today, it has got quite expensive, was really surprised, 150 LE for an adult (100 can go on food) and 75.00 for children from 5 years to 12. That is for sitting by the pool and your food and drinks. They have a differnt free for a cabina for the day which is 400 LE, all seems like a lot to me. I will try to check out other locations for you to get a better deal.

About catching a taxi, you are a large group, so will need to look out for the larger taxis - don't think the normal four door will be any good unless your children are really small !

Another member mentioned recently that the Hotel Longchamps got them a van with driver, they were a big family too, it sounded like a good deal.

Regards

Wendy

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
763 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Price questions

Hi,

November is the beginning of winter in Egypt. So it is a nice weather to walk around unlike in Summer.

The camel ride should cost you around LE30 - 50 and not more that this. Dont get trick by the camel owner if they ask you to take picture with their camel as they will later ask you for money for it. If you make a deal before riding that you would like to t ke the picture and no money for it, then go ahead.

Dont ask any egyptians or even the police around the pyramids to take photos for you as they will as bashees for it. Ask any other tourists to help you with it.

As for the Zoo, I agreed with Wendy. It is not a good idea for a visit. It is not great like other zoo and mostly the lower income people will go there and it really gets crowded during the weekend Fri. and Sat.

You could visit the Al Azhar park as Wendy suggested.

Entrance fee to the Pyramid - 50 LE

Entrance to Egyptian Antique Museum - 50LE

Another place that I would suggest you visit is Citadel and the entrance fee is 40LE. You could visit the Mohamed Ali Mosque (entrance free) and there is a big open area where you could view Cairo and relax here.

You could also visit the The Railway Museum - 1.50LE (adult) Fri. 3.00 LE. Located at the Ramsis square. Tue - Sun 8.30 am - 13.00

Closed on Monday.

2. Opera House (free) to visit outside. Metro stop at Gezira Station.

Daily 9.00 am - 2 pm and 4pm - 8.30 pm except Friday for The

Art Gallery.

3. Museum of Islamic Art, 16LE entrance fee. Daily 9.00 am -

4.00 pm at Bab El Khalk Square. On the way to Abdeen Palace.

Near to downtown.

4. The Tanoura dance. Free show at the Citadel at 8.00 pm and

enter allowed only at 18.15 at an open court yard

below Mohamed Ali Mosque. Every Saturday, Monday, and

Wednesday.

5. You could rent a felluca boat near Hotel Grand Hyatt where a lot

of felluca docking to sail along the nile. It cost LE30 - 50 only

for one hour and an half. Bring food or drink with you if wish too.

6. If you wish to eat, area where a lot of fastfood and restaurants

are located in Mohandessine at the Gamal Duwal Arabiya St.

Try restaurant like TIKKA and GAD for oriental food. The prices

cheap. GAD have menu set for LE60. (entree, main dish +

dessert) (5.25 pd. sterling).

Hope this help.

Nomansland, United...
Level Contributor
501 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Price questions

Thank you everyone for all your help, much appreciated