We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 nights in Cairo, too much?

Which Cairo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kiwi's travelling...
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
7 nights in Cairo, too much?

Hi everyone, need some urgent advice.

Was about to book hotel in Cairo for seven night when the thought came up that it seemed to be long time in one city. Is there enough to keep us occupied for this time?

Our main reason for coming to Egypt was to see the Pyramids. But is that can be done with all the other sightseeing in like three days then i am open to suggestions of must in Egypt.

Thought of another way to arrange it was 3 nights in Cairo 3 nights in another area worth visiting then the last night at a airport hotel in Cairo to catch an early morning flight the next day.

Your help is much appreciated we are a family of four traveling, retired parents and there over 18 sons traveling.

Thank you.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 nights in Cairo, too much?

Cairo can kep you occupied for seven days. The must sees can be done in three or four days, but if you want to stay in Cairo for longer, you will never be bored. The choice is yours. Also, you can do a day or an over night trip to Alexandria.

You see, the whole thing depends on your travel style. Some people like to visit a destination and only see the big and important things, others like to search into the local life and go to places off the beaten track etc., which takes more time. Some people use hotels only to sleep for a few hours every night while they stay all day on the run. Others, are more relaxed. They go out in the morning, come back for a short nap and then go out for dinner in the evening. Some people do shopping, others don't and visit the market once for the feel of it.

So, nobody can tell you how much Cairo needs. We can tell you what is on offer in Cairo and then you decide how long it needs you to do it.

By the way, Cairo is a 24 hour city. So, I would not move to an Airport hotel the last night. Taxis with good prices will be available day and night. In fact, a night trip from the center to the Airport is better coz at least you avoid the bad traffic.

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,025 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 nights in Cairo, too much?

If you only have seven days in Egypt then I think you could see most of the main things in Cairo in three days and I suggest another three in Luxor . You can book internal flights on Egyptair website.

In Luxor you can see the Valley of the KIngs - all those painted tombs you see in pictures - as well as numerous temples, eg Karnak, the largest religious structure every built.

There are loads of hotels and itineraries on the Luxor forum, also discussions on the best way to travel, where to find guides, etc.

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
43 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 nights in Cairo, too much?

Too much? Never! I'll be going for a week next month and I just know that I'll leave that city with a feeling that I still haven't seen or experienced everything. 3 nights in Cairo and 3 in, say, Luxor, can be done but it feels too hurried really. Make it one week Cairo or two weeks Cairo and Luxor..?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 nights in Cairo, too much?

I still believe there is no bible on that one. It depends on your own preference. Luxor has great sights that will stay in your memory for life. That is, if archeology was your thing. What you will see in Luxor will make you forget any archeological site or museum that you have been to worldwide.

Cairo is a dazzling and exhausting 24 hour busy city with a special cultural, dining and shopping scene. It is the place where real Egypt is. If you want to know how Egyptians live and think, Cairo is for you. On the other hand, It is a mix of traffic chaos, pollution and noise. To many people, that is what makes it attractive. To many others, that is what makes it unbearable. You think about it and decide.

merseyside
Level Contributor
7,905 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 7 nights in Cairo, too much?

Totally agree with Darsh ;-)

6. Re: 7 nights in Cairo, too much?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2009, 07:22