We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

EGP/USD cheat sheet

Metro...
Level Contributor
104 posts
1 review
Save Topic
EGP/USD cheat sheet

I stumbled across this today - thought it would be helpful for travelers:

http://www.oanda.com/convert/cheatsheet

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
4,146 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: EGP/USD cheat sheet

Hello, had a look at the site and it is good for getting a rough idea of the values.

However, my brother just came to Egypt on holiday (from the UK) and insisted to buy all his Egyptian Pounds from the Uk, I had suggested that he waits to do it here but he was in a hurry to finish with it.

After arriving he found that I had been right, in the Uk he got an exchange rate of 10.60 LE and here in Egypt he would have had about 11.30. LE In addition to that foreign currency is very much in demand and he would have had no trouble at all doing it here at any bank or exchange office.

Thought I would pass that on/

Regards

Wendy

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: EGP/USD cheat sheet

Egyptian pounds are over priced all over Europe and the States, never buy from there. They use the fact that Egyptian pounds are not a well nown international currency. So, they assume (they are usually right) that most of those who will try buying them are tourists who either have no idea at all about the price or at least people who had not been to Egypt lately and are not updated.

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
17 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: EGP/USD cheat sheet

We are a group traveling to Egypt on a planned tour on 12/26 with most everything, including tips, included in our price. you have suggested trading our US money for Egyptian currency after we arrive--where is the best place to do that exchange? Also, how much should we take for tourist purchases do you suppose, considering we only have one suitcase? Thanks for any information you may be able to offer on the topic of currency and spending money!

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
4,146 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: EGP/USD cheat sheet

Hello,

Changing USD in Egypt is very easy to do and you will find banks and exchange office everywhere, banks have good rates so you can see for yourselves the rates and decide. Most of the bigger hotels have a bank exchange office, which open all day long.

Buying gifts etc, all depends on what you want, (quality and size) but I will give you some examples :

Small Silver pendant LE 30.00

Large silver pendant with stone 70.00 - 150.00 LE

Hand made wooded mother of pearl box from 20.00 LE to 150.00 LE

Alabaster bowl LE 30.00 to LE 100 LE

Cotton T-shirt 25.00 LE to 40.00 LE

The USD is around 5.50 LE as far as I know.

You have to haggle with the sellers of course, but in the end it is up to you if you really want something.

Hope that answers your questions.

Regards

Wendy

5. Re: EGP/USD cheat sheet

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2009, 04:18
Get answers to your questions about Cairo