We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying an Ipod

Which Cairo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nomansland, United...
Level Contributor
501 posts
182 reviews
Save Topic
Buying an Ipod

Hiya, my son wants to spend his birthday money on an IPOD, the one he wants is the new style nano and is approx £150 here.

I may also need a new camera, nothing too fancy

I am having trouble finding detailed info online about shops there and prices of IPODs. Are electrical items readily available in Cairo and whereabouts is the best place to go.

We are staying downtown, many thanks

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying an Ipod

They are available, but I am not sure about prices compared to the UK.

There is a street called Abdel Aziz Street in downtown Cairo with all the electric goods shops. However, it is not as shopper friendlly as the modern shops in City Stars Mall. I mean the street is crowded and side walks are not always available and you will need some haggeling in some of the shops, but prices should be cheaper.

If you want an easier alternative, just head to City Stars Mall and you will have a lot to choose from. It should be a 20 LE taxi ride from where you are.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
4,146 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying an Ipod

Hello,

As Darsh said, the City Stars Mall in Nasr City/Heliopolis is about the best place to go, a huge Mall with many good electronic type shops.

I know nothing about Ipods, but search for you and came up with this :

Apple® 4GB iPod® nano (Silver)

$149.99

Model: MA978LL/A

Catalog #: 42-320

Hope that is what you are looking for, found it on line Radio Shack has branches all over Cairo.

Digital cameras are easy to come by, lots of models are available, last year I got one for my daughter a Virgin Stores (also at City Stars) for about 200 Sterling.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Wendy

Online: Not available

Available at most stores, find it near you

Nomansland, United...
Level Contributor
501 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying an Ipod

Thanks Darsh :-)

Unless it is going to be quite a bit cheaper then he will probably get his Ipod here ready to take with him, do you have any idea of how I can find out prices of things, I cant find any wesites for shops?

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
4,146 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying an Ipod

Radio Shack and Virgin Mega Stores are the two I know of.

I imagine it would be better to buy in the Uk, as there I think you can get special discounts by mail order etc, anyway you can check.

Regards

Wendy

Wendy

Chicago
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying an Ipod

It sounds like you're looking for the 3rd Generation Ipods nanos, which are only available in 4G or 8G. So when receiving price quotes you need to be clear on the version type and size. There are still plenty of 2nd Generation Ipod nanos; however; the main difference between these two types is that 3rd Gens now incorporate a video player.

Unfortunately, the £150 (assuming it's for an 8G model) that you have to pay in the UK for this 3rd Gen Ipod nano is roughly £85 in the US. Again, I would be careful about price quotes as most vendors may not discern between 1st, 2nd, or 3rd Gen- when quoting you for an "Ipod nano" . So a good sounding deal may not be such a great deal if it ends up being for an obsoleted version.

So with what Wendy has posted, assuming it's for a 3rd Generation Ipod nano, is not be a bad deal at all. However, I'd double check the to make sure it's not for an obsoleted version.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Buying an Ipod

well, I am not an ipod person myself, but I assume Egypt won't be cheaper. Since I arrived to England more than a month ago, I have bought so far a digital camera, a printer and an LCD monitor and while shopping for them I noticed that prices are same or better than Egypt. While Egypt is cheaper than the UK on almost everything, it seems technology is an exception.

Also, my brother asked me to get him an ipod from the states when I was there in July. That means, they must be cheaper there than in Egypt. If you know American prices, this might help you to make some estimations :)

Nomansland, United...
Level Contributor
501 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buying an Ipod

Thanks everyone, he decided he couldnt wait to part with his cash and got one here, I had also heard that electronics were cheaper here than there, but it was worth a try.

Many thanks for all your help and advice, Jo

8. Re: Buying an Ipod

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2009, 09:21