We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which form of Arabic spoken in Egypt?

Which Cairo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
428 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Which form of Arabic spoken in Egypt?

I went to the library to pick up a language tape to figure out how to pronounce a few Arabic phrases. They had several tapes for Gulf Arabic, but I didn't know what to pick for Egyptian Arabic. There are so many Arabic-speaking countries, and I know there are many variations. What form should I be looking for for the dialect spoken in Egypt? Or will it not matter for just the few basic phrases?

There are phrases in the back of my guidebooks, but I need to hear it spoken repeatedly to get a handle on how to pronounce the words. Playing the tape over and over and memorizing it has worked well for me in the past.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Which form of Arabic spoken in Egypt?

It is simply called the Egyptian dialect. There should be no major differances between Egyptian and other dialects at least as far as the basic phrases are concerned. So, if you don't find the Egyptian tape, any other one will do.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
428 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which form of Arabic spoken in Egypt?

Thanks! So pronunciation will be about the same? What about idioms? Don't want to think I'm saying "Thank you" when I'm really saying, "No thanks", or something similar! I still remember years spent learning French and then finding out my idioms were all wrong for French-speaking Canada!

Luxor/UK
Level Contributor
1,581 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Which form of Arabic spoken in Egypt?

I have a small pocket sized book called "Egyptian Arabic the Rough Guide" which I have found extremely helpful.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
763 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which form of Arabic spoken in Egypt?

This a good site to check and it has audio too!

http://www.touregypt.net/translat.htm

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Which form of Arabic spoken in Egypt?

Not always the same. No thanks is the same in all the dialects I know. However "hello" could be different, yet people in Egypt will understand all Arab hellos maybe except for Tunisian one which is quite different. I would try to find Egyptian Arabic, but if you fail, others will do the job. People might just wander "where did you learn that?"

us
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Which form of Arabic spoken in Egypt?

Check this out:

http://egyptianarabic.com/software.htm

I studied Egyptian arabic at AUC and can say that this is pretty good.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
4,146 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which form of Arabic spoken in Egypt?

If you have time you should find something good on Amazon, the Egyptian spoken Arabic is the easiest of all the Arab countries, and it is widely understood in all Arabic speaking countries due to the huge Egyptian film industry. My brother who is here now has a really good cassette and book produced by the BBC, it is good for a first visit to Egypt. I am sure you will find something suitable.

Here are a few simple examples, so you can check it with what you have at the library :

Thankyou (Shookran)

No (La)

No thankyou ( La Shoukran)

goodbye - go with peace (Ma Salama)

How much ? (be Kam)

Enough (Bass or Kifeya)

Many thanks (Alf Shoukran)

Straight ahead (Allatool)

Man (Ragill)

Woman (Sett)

Girl (Bint)

Boy (Wallid)

Tea (Shy)

Water (Miyer)

Milk (Leban or halib)

As mentioned by Darsh you will be understood if you are following a general Arabic course, but if you can get one which is for Egypt it will be better for you, and easier !!!

Good luck with your prepatations, a really good thing to get yourself ready, my brother is really enjoying the interaction with local people, due to the effort he made before the trip and during, Egyptian people are always glad when a visitor is making some effort to speak the language, and it helps a lot when you have to deal with people who do not speak English.

Regards

Wendy

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
4,146 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which form of Arabic spoken in Egypt?

Hello again,

Have just checked with my brother, he recommends :

Published by : Pimsleur

Pimsleur's Egyptian Arabic

American

Tlhe full course is about 200 USD but perhaps you could also borrow it from your library

This is very good for advanced learning, and they also have a shorter version which may be perfect for you. It is based on listening and repeating, not on reading, so it may be just right for you. My brother and his wife are using the long and short versions.

The BBC one is :

BBC Get by in Arabic

"A quck beginners course for Holiday Makers and Business People"

Consisting of a small book and two cassettes.

Regards

Wendy

9. Re: Which form of Arabic spoken in Egypt?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2009, 00:19