We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visas

Which Cairo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tequesta, Florida
Level Contributor
89 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Visas

Hello, I include the following question inside a response to another's post so I am not sure enough people would notice it so I am posting it as a spearate question.

Thanks for your attention.

John

Egyptian Goddess writes that we ought to have a Visa by the time we get to Pasport Control. I have traveled in the UK and Central and Eastern Europe and never needed a Visa. Do you get that before yyou leavve the US? Do you get it at the airport when you land? Do I need to apply to some US Government agency to get a Visa?

Thanks,

John

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
4,146 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visas

In Cairo airport getting a visa is very simple. In the big hall where the Passport control desk are, you will see a bank kiosk to your left, go there first and pay for your visa, then re-join the lines.

So the important thing is to pay first. If you are a couple, one can stay in line while the other goes to pay.

If you want more information about this subject you can also make a search for Visa Cairo Airport and lots of members have previously given their feedback on this subject.

Regards

Wendy

UK
Level Contributor
382 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visas

Hi,

My concern about getting the visa when you arrive is that you may have to wait a while. We are arriving at about 23:30 with 3 kids and I think the most inportant thing for us will be to get through customs and to our hotel asap. I think I will try to get visa's before we arrive. Or am I wrong?

Thanks

Tara

Cairo, Egypt
Destination Expert
for Egypt, Cairo, Luxor, Aswan, Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
3,031 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visas

Really is so easy to get the visa upon arrival in Cairo airport, i rememeber i answered in details similar post long time ago , but any how and to make it easy , as wendy just said , upon arivla you will find the bank , ANY bank, go there with a 15 US dollars in cash per visa , the bank clerck will give it to you, by the way it USED TO BE 2 stamps one blue and one orange, but now I found they changed it to ONE BIG and very nice looking sticket on which is printed very clearly the value as 15 US dollars, just stick it in any empty page in your passport and stay on the line for the passport control

if your plane is the only one arriving at that moment you will not take long time till you get out of airport, it is all matter of traffic of arrival

I really do not find it necessary to get visa in advance, i heared it cost more money and they ask for some proof of hotels reservations, I am not sure of that, but if you find it easier for you and you can drop to the Egyptian Embassy then do it but it will not save you much of a time, as if there are many plans arriving you will also be delayed and as Wendy advised if you are more than one person , then just one can take all passport and go to buy the visa and others book him place in the line to passport control

OR else if you are really in a hurry and need to get out from airport in a glance, then you can book a VIP service from Cairo Airport , but it will cost you 100 US dollars per person , on which a personnel from the airport will come to pick you up from your plan take you to a special waiting room , he will get you the visas and do you all papers and passport controls and take you to get your luggage and remain with you till you are out of the airport, so what do you think?!

wish you a nice trip

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
4,146 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visas

Agree very much with the above.

Remembered another point, there is no need to be in big rush to pass through the passport control, as in anycase everyone has to wait for their luggage and so being quickly through does not always have an advantage.....

There are lots of desks for the passport control and it is quite efficient.

Regards

Wendy

Alexandria, Egypt
Level Contributor
884 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visas

Too true CairoWendy; I think normally everybody has bought a visa, and got through Passport Control before they even think about cranking the belt thing up - and if everybody else is afflicted with the same luck I have, If I'm first through - my case is last and if I'm the last one through - my case was probably the first!

The moral to that story was: don't worry about the length of time getting a visa might add to your transition time - because your luggage is going to take just as long, if not longer, to appear!

ny
Level Contributor
38 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visas

Don't worry follow all the above advice. I just returned from an unexpected and last minute 3 day layover today. I scanned this site and with all the wealth of information from the visa purchase to the guide I can say first hand everyone made my trip wonderful.

Thanks CairoWendy, Peekaboo67 and Egytian Guide.

John relax the airport is busy and many people will be there. I think there are 4 banks right next to each other and never was there a line. As they suggested- 1 in line at the bank and 1 in line at immigrations. Immigrations is about 25 feet away from the bank.

Enjoy you time.

Newcastle, NSW
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Visas

sorry if this is a silly question but can someone please confim that the "bank supplied" tourist visas can be purchased 24 hours a day?

We are flying into cairo airport around midnight saturday night and don't want to have a problem.....

I gather the "banks" will also exchange foreign currency for local pounds - is the exchange rate resaonable? (not too worried about this) or should we look for an ATM to withdraw local funds there?

thanks in advance - PS tripadvisor is our MAIN source of inside info before we traven ANYWHER now!!

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
4,146 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visas

Do not worry the airport is busy 27/7 and all the services run through the night. The exchange rates are good, and much the same anywhere you go. You will get a better rate in Egypt, abroad you will not get such a good rate.

Glad that you are depending on TA, lots of people are here to give you all the information you need.

Regards

Wendy

Newcastle, NSW
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Visas

Thanks Wendy! Only 8 weeks to go.... can't wait.

we are joining a group tour but because of a cancelled flight (found out today luckily) we will now have to be in Cairo 2 days before the tour starts.

We are booked at the "conrad" for that time - hope that's an ok place for 2 first time egypt visitors.

website looks nice (address says 1191 Corniche El Nil but that means nothing to me sorry :^)

We'd probably like to visit the pyramids nearby while we are there..

in your experience is it best ro have the hotel arrange this? I realise this would likely "cost more" than haggling in person ... but the idea seems a bit intimidating at the moment!

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
4,146 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visas

Hello again Aussie1959.

The Conrad is a good choice, it is fairly central (being on the downtown side of the Nile, and just a short taxi ride to many good locations - like Zamalek). It is close to a big shopping Mall called Arkadia, you may like to use the food court instead of the hotel, it will be cheaper.

I would suggest that you contact one of the local private tour guides, we have a really good post here on the forum :

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294201-i9404-k142…

You will find a list of guides at the start of the post and go to the end (page 7) to see some recent recommendations. As a hint Rasha El Ashmawy (female) and Emad ElHadeda (Male) have had a lot of good feedback recently and are both very professional and have reasonable fees, this is not the case with all the guides, and for me it is an important factor.

You can expect to pay around USD 25 each for the guides service including the transportation. The entrance fees are normally paid by you.

Please check what is included in your group tour, and then you can work out what else you would like to see, or if there is a place you would like to spend more time at. A lot of companies do not show Islamic Cairo in a proper way, just the Citadel and Khan Khalili Market, but there are amazing places for you to see and it would be a shame to miss the chance.

The hotel arranagements would be more expensive, not guaranteedto be good and not so personal.

Hope that helps.

Wendy