We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gaza Strip Chaos - feelings?

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Gaza Strip Chaos - feelings?

www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite…

Is anyone currently in Egypt? What are everyone's feelings on this? We were just ready to book our tickets, and now something scary happens! Is it still safe? Ack!

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
4,146 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gaza Strip Chaos - feelings?

Hello,

I was wondering when someone would ask about this...

You have no need to worry. It is all very sad what is happening in Palestine, we in Egypt are always amazed at what the Israeli goverment does and gets away with, no other "country" in the world would be allowed to do it.

My own feelings and those of the people I have talked to (my colleagues at work), feel that it was right to let the people through to buy supplies and to return home. President Mubarak would have been very unpopular here (he is already not popular), if he had done anything else.

It is a very difficult subject - but whatever happens in the coming period, it will not have any real effect on the other parts of Egypt, all major cities are far from the border with Gaza (this is a huge country).

I hope that you accept my assurance of this.

Regards

Wendy

Nuweiba, Egypt
Level Contributor
2,176 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gaza Strip Chaos - feelings?

This temporary boom in tourism is limited to the Gaza border area and it presents absolutely no problems whatsoever in Cairo, the rest of Sinai or the rest of Egypt.

I am sure that people all over the world as well as here feel sorry for the plight of the Palestinians who have been living under such terribly inhumane conditions.

Carlisle
Level Contributor
152 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gaza Strip Chaos - feelings?

Three cheers for Egypt, I say.

Somerville MA
10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Gaza Strip Chaos - feelings?

It doesn't seem scary to me. These people are starving and just need basic living supplies, and are returning back over the border. They are desperate. Who among us wouldn't do the same for our families?

Israel has been saying that there will be terrorists crossing over, but I don't think a tourist to Egypt needs to worry about that.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
4,146 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gaza Strip Chaos - feelings?

You are right, we would all do the same for our own famillies, it is inhuman what they are doing and this is all too obvious for anyone to see.

I am never political, but do not think that such a thing would be allowed to happen to any people in the world except the Palestinians, sad but true.

Wendy

6. Re: Gaza Strip Chaos - feelings?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 January 2008, 21:31
Alexandria, Egypt
Level Contributor
884 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gaza Strip Chaos - feelings?

The poster did ask for people living in Egypt to respond to this thread and they asked for personal feelings. Cairowendy answered as she is living in the country and so is able to supply the answers that the poster wanted.

Any traveller that is concerned would also probably be looking at government websites - but this wouldn't give the personal angle of what is happening on the ground today and how life may be affected and how a holiday may be affected.

Stockton-on-Tees...
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gaza Strip Chaos - feelings?

hi there iv been conserened about all this that it going on aswell.we stayed in sharm last year and loved egypt so we trying taba height this sept.Im hoping that it is still going to be safe i dont want to be going anywhere were there could be terrorists or anything.It doesnt sound like much els is happening at the moment just hope it all gets sorted out soon for them all and especially for piece of mind to people that are going holiday.Plus taba heights is on the border which is the gateway to jerusalm and isreal so really hope it gets sorted out.

merseyside
Level Contributor
7,959 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gaza Strip Chaos - feelings?

Is egypt travel writer and 846865 the same poster???

northwest
Level Contributor
572 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gaza Strip Chaos - feelings?

Reckon so!!!!!!!!!!!!!