We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport transportation , etc

Which Cairo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Saskatchewan
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Airport transportation , etc

Hi There !

Any suggestions for using taxis or shuttles to and from

the airport ?

Also, should I book a day tour to the pyramids and sphinx with a tour company before I leave, or book

something through my hotel when I get there.

Has anyone used Viator tours in Cairo ?

Thanks.

L. J.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
4,146 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport transportation , etc

Hello,

For the airport I would suggest that you use the Airport shuttle bus service, here are all the details :

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294201-c69909/Cairo:…

Here is a link with general advice about what to see on a short visit to Cairo :

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294201-c84700/Cairo:…

Further on from that a list of recommended tour guides, which I think is better than going through a company :

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294201-c85398/Cairo:…

Hopefully the above pages will give you most of the information you need.

Regards

Wendy

Knoxville, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
1,069 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport transportation , etc

I would suggest you a transfer from the airport before you depart for Egypt. The procedures at the airport here is confusing and a good transfer agent can handle everything from visa to baggage for you and save you a big headache. They should be waiting for you as you enter the terminal with a sign with your name on it.

This is also very important when you depart Cairo.

Gottagocit

Saskatchewan
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport transportation , etc

Thanks Wendy and Gottagocit !

Vancouver, WA
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport transportation , etc

The first thing my in-laws told me was to go straight to the visa line with 15 dollars cash. Easy as a pie after that. Just merely stand on the street and all the locals will take you where you want for a relatively good price. We spent 120 Egyptian pounds, (pretty much divide by 5 to determine u.s. dollars), for three days of private taxi/somewhat of a tour guide. My Strongest tip would not to be disheartened when everyone wants money from you, its their way of life to get as much as they can from your wallet. Tour books suggest a half hearted humour when bargaining, which I believe is imperative to a great vacation. "For you my friend a special discount" :]

Take Care,

michelle

p.s. The best part of my vacation was actually not being a tourist, but befriending locals and invited to local street bands and such.

Saskatchewan
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport transportation , etc

Thanks Michelle !

I almost forgot about the visa reguired.

L. J.

6. Re: Airport transportation , etc

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2009, 20:17