We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice needed and appreciated for 2 day trip in Cairo

Which Cairo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
South Wales
11 posts
Save Topic
Advice needed and appreciated for 2 day trip in Cairo

Hi, this is our first time to Egypt and we are staying in Sharma El Shiekh for two weeks during the end of March and first week of April; and are hoping to do a two day one night visit to Cairo. There are a range of ages in our party from age 12 - 64yrs old. The latter, (my father in law) has mobility problems (awaiting knee operation) which restricts his ability to walk for moderate periods of time/distances espescially on uneven grounds and down steps. Although, he would love to do this trip would this be feasable?

We have contacted Nibel Gouda (as recommended on this site) for a private tour and explained our dilema and the need to take a slow and leisurely apporach.

The itiniary mentioned was on Day 1

Great Pyramids

Sun boat museum

Sphinx

Lunch and rest

Egyptian Museum

Felucca ride on Nile (hopefully at sunset)

Nile cruise (night)

day 2

Citadel of Salah El Din

Mohamed Ali's Mosque

Sultan Hassan Mosque

El Refaee Mosque

Old Markets

Although for Day 2 I didnt explain myself to well as we won't be staying this night and need to catch our flight later this evening. We would like to go to the Ciadel of Salah and Old Markets, but would only be able to see one of the above Mosque's. Any advice on which one would be greatly appreciated?

Do you think the above two day itinerary is feasable and would enable us to take a slow and leisurely approach? Any other advice/information/better choices would be appreciated. Sorry for so many questions and many thanks for any help you may be able to give.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
4,146 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice needed and appreciated for 2 day trip in Cairo

The two days look good to me, hope that your Father in law will be over his operation and in good shape as Egypt is rather difficult when it comes to walking about, high pavements, little or no thought to anyone who is old or has problems walking.

The two days look good, the Museum can be tiring, so once you have seen enough better to say so, as it is a huge, just see the highlights.

Personaly I do not like the Refaee mosque, it is not even old and for me is not beautiful or great.

The Mohamed Ali Mosque is in the Citadel and you do not need to spend much time there.

In fact The mosques do not take long to visit and are really worth the effort, so please do visit Sultan Hassan and if time allows ask to see Ibn Touloun which is wonderful very peaceful and only a five mintute drive from Sultan Hassan.

The good thing about having a private guide is that you can alter your schedule to suit yourselves. Good that you are going in the spring period so it will not be hot, right not it is killing to be out and about it this heat !!

Regards

Wendy

Littlehampton...
Level Contributor
619 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice needed and appreciated for 2 day trip in Cairo

Hi

Nibal was my guide last time I visited Cairo - I found she was excellent and very flexible about amending plans at the last moment! Your day 2 itinerary will not take up too much of your day - all the Mosques are located within Islamic Cairo and not too far from each other - and ending your visit in the Khan el kalili markets will give you the chance for last-minute souvenir buying!

Have a great time!

Deb

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice needed and appreciated for 2 day trip in Cairo

For the first time, I disagree with Wendy on something :)

Come on Wendy :)) El Refai mosque is a very nice one, how could you say that about it?

It is almost a century old that is right which doesn't make it a historical monument but it is well decorated from inside and the Royal tombs of the Mohammed Ali family aer a must-see, especially the tomb of the former Shah of Iean.

Mohammed Ali Mosque is part of the citadel so it doesn't need any extra effort to see it since you will be at the citadel anyway.

Both Sultan Hasan and Refai mosques are a 3-minute drive from the citadel and they are located next to each other on the same square. Practically, all three mosques are in the same area.

Ibn Toloun mosque is worth the trip but if you don't have enough time and especially if you are not visiting on a weekend (Friday and Saturday), you might have to keep it for next time since it is relatively out of the way compared to the rest of the places you want to see and on weekdays traffic will not be on your side.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
4,146 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice needed and appreciated for 2 day trip in Cairo

Hello Darsh,

It is fine not to agree on something !!

I personally do not like the Rafaee Mosque, and when I go to the area I normally visit only Sultan Hassan as I really love it. I also have a "thing" for the Ibn Touloun Mosque, so it is hard for me to imagine being that close to it and not giving it the short time it needs to visit.

We shall have to agree to disagree on this one... :-)

Regards

Wendy

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice needed and appreciated for 2 day trip in Cairo

No problem at all Wendy :)

cheers

Cairo, Egypt
Destination Expert
for Egypt, Cairo, Luxor, Aswan, Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
2,928 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice needed and appreciated for 2 day trip in Cairo

in case if your father in low cant walk so much, so then in first day I do not think he can make the Sun Boat , first of all it is long walk, lots of steps to climb around and see, also lot of walking through sand and stones , which I am sure will be hard for him, my advise that he can just see the pyramids (from outside for sure) and take some pictures, then he can rest in the car till you see the Solar boat and be back to him, for the museum do not worry at all , there are some wheel chairs that can be used for free, just mention that you need it at the entrance to the museum itself not the garden entrance, so he can rest and be seated all through the visit no matter how long it will take as it is really involve lots of standing and walking from one piece to another

regarding the second day, as Darsh said Mohamed Ali mosque is insdie citadel so it can be visited, but be aware that visiting the citadel itself is also very long walk from the parking area till the mosque itself, but easly your guide can nicely ask the police officers there sitting at the gate so they can let your van take you up to the mosque itself and drop you then when leaving out the guide can simply call the driver to come back and pick you up, always police officers do allow this in such cases

regarding to choose between Refaei and Sultan Hassan, each of them have its taste and school of art, so they are both different, you will feel completely different from one to another, as Darsh said it is nice to see for the Royal tombs of the Royal family as well as the tomb of Mohamed Reda Bahlawi.

while the Sultan hassan you can really smell history in it and see the Medrassa in Islam and know about it more.

Ibn Touloun is also more interesting especially as just next to it is the Museum of Gayer Anderson which i presonally recommend for you

above all I wish for your father in low great health and for all of you a wonderful trip

South Wales
11 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice needed and appreciated for 2 day trip in Cairo

Many thanks for your kind advice and information. You have given me a greater insight into the geography and locations of the sights and the tips on how to get around are invaluable. Looking forward to the time when we're actually there!

UK
Level Contributor
52 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice needed and appreciated for 2 day trip in Cairo

Hi

I've just posted our review of our 2 day Cairo trip.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g294201-i9404-k2…

Hope this helps.

9. Re: Advice needed and appreciated for 2 day trip in Cairo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2009, 11:18