We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation from Alexandria to Cairo

Which Cairo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
South Carolina
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation from Alexandria to Cairo

We are going on NCL Jade on Oct 2008 with a stop in Alexandria. We have booked a hotel and have contacted Rany M as our tour guide based on recommendations on this site. However, Rany informs us he is unable to pick us up at the port (or return us)because his particular license does not allow port pick up. Does anyone have a suggestion on reliable, affordable transportation? We want to go from the Alexandria port to the Mena House in Giza where Rany said he would meet us. Or should we just find another guide who can pick us up for the 2 day/one night stay in Cairo..any suggestions?

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,021 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation from Alexandria to Cairo

Why can't Rany suggest a driver who does have a licence? People in Egypt usually have endless contacts who do different things.

Anyway, if you want another guide there is a list of them on the forum. If you just want transport, I imagine the Mena House could arrange it, though there would be a heavy markup.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
4,146 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation from Alexandria to Cairo

It is quite normal for guides not to go all the way to Alexandria just for a pick up, the drive to and from Alexandria is long and having a guide is not really an advantage. But he should be able to arrange a driver for you, check again with him, maybe it is a misunderstandig between you.

The driver only pick up should be fine.

Regards

Wendy

manchester
Level Contributor
52 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation from Alexandria to Cairo

I quite agree with Wendy - you could'nt expect a guide to go all the way to Alex and then back again just to pick you up.

It's a pain of journey and I would'nt like to do it twice in a day.

florida
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation from Alexandria to Cairo

my husband and I are on the same cruise but in september. Who's your guide Rany? Good deal in Egypt? let us know.

Thanks

Nai

Florida

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
1,324 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation from Alexandria to Cairo

Reserve a 1st class train ticket from Alexandria to the Ramses Station in Cairo. Take a cab from the port to the train station & Rany should not object to picking you up at Ramses. The train ride takes about 2 hours.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
4,146 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation from Alexandria to Cairo

You can contact any of the recommended guides that are listed in the forum FAQ's :

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294201-c85398/Cairo:…

Or contact this company which is working with cruise clients and is included in our list of recommended Travel Companies :

Nile Blue Tour

(Shore trips - Alexandria to Cairo)

Hazem Abbas Cell : 0020122871367- 0020102454305

Mrs. Ghada : 0020124077007

E mails: manager@nilebluetours.com

info@nilebluetours.com

hazeminfo@yahoo.com

Regards

Wendy

New York, USA
Level Contributor
1,067 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transportation from Alexandria to Cairo

Cosign JUGL11. I was just about to suggest the same thing.

TB08

Jacksonville...
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Transportation from Alexandria to Cairo

I will be on the NCL jade October 13th and I'm also trying to find the most affordable but safe way to travel. I found that train travel seems to be pretty convenient. Here are a couple of websites I've been looking at. I hope this helps.

seat61.com/Egypt.htm#Cairo%20-%20Alexandria

http://www.seat61.com/Egypt.htm

Bethesda, Maryland
Level Contributor
7 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transportation from Alexandria to Cairo

We just returned from an Azamara cruise where we left the ship in Alexandria (on Sept 5th)and rejoined it the next day in Port Said (Sept 6th). We had booked Rasha as our guide [Rasha Elashmawy <queen_nefrtiti@yahoo.com>] and she arranged for her driver to pick us up in Alexandria and drive us to Cairo to meet her (at the Mena House). The driver also returned us to Port Said. There was no additional fee for this, but it was included as part of Rasha's fee. The driver met us at the gate to the port (as Rasha had advised us) and we were in the van and on our way before the busses for the ship's tours had even started loading. We liked the flexibility and anonimity of being on our own rather than in the "bus cavavan."

I can't say enough wonderful things about Rasha. She was outstanding and was the benchmark for all the other guides we had on the trip (although we had some good ones, none topped her!. She is articulate, well organized, and simply a delightful person. Having read the other reviews about her on this forum, I felt comfortable booking her and was so happy I did. She has a brand new a/c van (of which she is most proud!) and packed in a lot of sites and information in & about Cairo in our 2-day visit. We left not only with a wonderful feeling about Egypt and its history, but with the added bonus of having made a special friend in the process.

Note that you will need to get an Egyptian Visa (we got our own in Washington at the Embassy) and you will also need to get permission from the shipping line to leave your ship overnight.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
4,146 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Transportation from Alexandria to Cairo

Hello GalavantingGrammy,

Thanks for your recommendation of Rasha, will add your name to the next unpdate of the Tour Guides List.

Yes Rasha is a very special person and I agree fully with all your comments.

Thankyou for all the details about meeting up, visa etc., that will be helpful for all those cruise passengers planning such a trip to Cairo.

Regards

Wendy