We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Confused about which Cairo Metro carriage is for women only

Which Cairo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Oregon Coast, Oregon
Level Contributor
20 posts
149 reviews
Save Topic
Confused about which Cairo Metro carriage is for women only

Greetings, all. As much as I've been reading on the forum for my upcoming trip, I feel like I know some of you. In my reading here and elsewhere, I read that the first 1-2 cars are the women's only in some places, and the 4th - 5th cars (middle cars) are the women's only (in others). A google search seems evenly split on which is the women's only. So, is it possible it has changed recently (even Wikipedia lists the 4th and 5th cars), and how would I know (are they marked?) just in case. Thanks in advance, everybody.

Copenhagen
Level Contributor
2,043 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Confused about which Cairo Metro carriage is for women only

Hi Citimowse,

I have used the Cairo metro many times, and it has ALWAYS been the first car which was women-only. The rest of the train are for both men and women. It is not like you cannot enter the other cars, Egypt is not segregated as such. So there is no problem using the other cars as well. In any case, you can see which car it is when the train rolls in. Haven't been to Cairo in a while, so things can have changed. Maybe Wendy has a more recent take on things?

Louise

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
4,146 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Confused about which Cairo Metro carriage is for women only

Hello,

I also have not been on the Metro for a while, it always was the 1st one, don't know if that has changed. Anyway as Louise says it is not a problem, you can go in any car. Most are mixed and it is easy to see that, and in the womens car they would ask any man who gets in by mistake to leave !

They are not marked but just look for the one with ladies, also you would notice that the women are all waiting in one place on the platform. Report when you get back !

Regards

Wendy

Oregon Coast, Oregon
Level Contributor
20 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Confused about which Cairo Metro carriage is for women only

Thanks, and I'll be sure to post back.

Oregon Coast, Oregon
Level Contributor
20 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Confused about which Cairo Metro carriage is for women only

Well, I just got back from a great trip. Thanks to all who were so helpful on my questions in this and other forums on TA. There has been a recent change and the Cairo Metro longer uses the first cars for the women's only. Instead, just about the 4th and 5th (I didn't count) cars have a large red banner near the top of the car proclaiming the female-only designation, as well as there being special tape on the station floor where the trains will stop indicating that those are the women-only cars.

New York, USA
Level Contributor
1,067 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Confused about which Cairo Metro carriage is for women only

Wow, interesting! Thanks for reporting back. Will you be sharing a trip report...and pictures? *hint hint* :-)

Travelbug08

Alexandria, Egypt
Level Contributor
884 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Confused about which Cairo Metro carriage is for women only

Glad you found out for yourself which car it was. Sorry I didn't see this thread earlier else I'd have told you that it was no longer the first carriage.

It changed quite a few months back when there was an accident on the metro. I can't remember if the women were supposedly moved to a further back car, or because they were annoying the driver! There were quite a few reports in the papers about it.

But like you say - they did say that they were going to clearly indicate the carriage by markings on the floor.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
4,146 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Confused about which Cairo Metro carriage is for women only

Thanks for the detailed update !

Wendy

Cairo - Egypt
Level Contributor
600 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Confused about which Cairo Metro carriage is for women only

Cairo Subway Metro (both metro lines):

4th & 5th cars are reserved for female passengers.

As a matter of fact, 4th car is reserved for females all the way, and 5th car is reserved daily until 6:00pm, after which it can be used by both males and females.

1st and 2nd cars USED to be reserved for female travelers, but this changed about 18 months ago.

Cheers

Cairo - Egypt
Level Contributor
600 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Confused about which Cairo Metro carriage is for women only

FYI

Each Cairo Subway Metro consists of 9 wagons, so 4 & 5 are about in the middle.

I agree with EgyptGodess that the main announced reason for changing female wagons came mainly from some female passengers annoying the driver--usually asking him to open the doors longer to catch their slower friends! LOL. I've seen it myself.

However, the duration of the metro stop is about 15 seconds, and increases by up to 10 seconds during rush hours and at busy stations.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Confused about which Cairo Metro carriage is for women only

yes, there was a change in policy in mid 2007 and the middle carriages are now for women. They are marked by a yellow line on the platform.

However, there was some creticism for this in the local papers. I don't know if people now are used to it or are they still complaining. Knowing Egyptians, whom I am one of them, I guess, they will get used to it :)

Just in case, they didn't, it is wise to look the first time you use it and check if the middle carriages are still marked for women use.