We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cairo-Alexandra is driving here as awful as what is...

Level Contributor
9,225 posts
244 reviews
Save Topic
Cairo-Alexandra is driving here as awful as what is...

described in post below on Cairo-Luxor? Is this road as bad...I know the driving is not the best but if one had a driver that one trusted is this road okay? Thanks. We could also do the train if it is really better.

Alexandria, Egypt
Level Contributor
884 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cairo-Alexandra is driving here as awful as what is...

I travel on this road often. Personally I don't think it's all that bad - but I've kind of got used to the bad driving. For a first timer it may be a bit hair raising. But if you do have a driver that you trust - and who drives in a proper way, ie not too fast and with his lights on if you're travelling at night, and who listens to you and slows down a bit if you prefer to go a bit slower - then it should be ok.

Note that if you travel this road in the early hours of the morning, it is often misty - which can make it feel quite bad.

Take whichever way you prefer - but there is a chance that the train will get you there faster and with more safety and will probably cost you less.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
4,146 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cairo-Alexandra is driving here as awful as what is...

Well think I must be getting old ! I used to not mind driving long distances - mainly to Sinai though, which is a lot better, but recently drove back from a seaside resort and half the jouney was on the Alexandria ""Agricultural road, I hated it and felt quite frightened at times, my husband and I swore not to go that way again. There is another road from Alexandria "The Desert Road" and I believe that it a lot better and safer.

If you do not have to go by road I would suggest that you go by train. If you do go by road make sure that the whole journey is in daylight, my husband insists on that these days and I think it is very wise.

Regards

Wendy

Level Contributor
9,225 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cairo-Alexandra is driving here as awful as what is...

sound good...either desert road by daylight with good driver or the train might be fun too...I'll pursue both options. thanks. it is sort of sad that as we get older things that never used to bother us we start to analyze carefully which leads to stress...oh to be young and careless again!!!

Alexandria, Egypt
Level Contributor
884 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cairo-Alexandra is driving here as awful as what is...

We never use the Agricultural road Wendy - last time was about 10 years ago and we swore never again!

The desert road isn't as exciting as it sounds - but at least its a lot safer!

New York
Level Contributor
159 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cairo-Alexandra is driving here as awful as what is...

How about the road from Cairo to the ship port in Alexandria? Is it okay to travel that road at night (with a guide and driver, of course)?

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
4,146 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cairo-Alexandra is driving here as awful as what is...

Suggest that you insist in the Alexandria - Cairo Desert road and if possible drive in daylight.

Regards

Wendy

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
314 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cairo-Alexandra is driving here as awful as what is...

Hello Gene:

As Others already gave you their ideas and insights about the High way of alexandria and driving so let me add to you and to the other inquiry about driving from the port and back to the port again..

Well the Desert high way for me is the more safe one cause it's will let at least and more speeding check points along that road and with the new traffic law in egypt so drivers and i am talking about tourism drivers are more careful not to pay the fine or to lose the license.

the distance along the desert road is about 3 hours with the rest place stop and about 2 hours 45 minutes with a direct ride.

the agricultural road is full with villages and small cities which means that you may just suddenly stop for a cow crossing the road or kids playing so i did traveled once on the desert high way and never again cause it's just stressful..

and now as you are all tourists so Rule number one that all the tourism drivers know when traveling to Alexandria which is not to take tourists along the agricultural high way and they won't unless they are doing Tanta city..

and as you'll see it that all of your moves and rides are reported to the tourism police which is more for security reasons and to make sure that safety is well kept.

and now the train it's more comfortable yes and faster yes but the journey with the train is about 2 hours to 2 1/2 hours so not that much time difference.

and for the one who was asking about the port drive to Cairo it's as a must that they take you through the desert road cause it's the route stated by the tourism police..

hope that helped you ,wishing you a great time in our country.

best regards

Ayman Ahmed

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cairo, Egypt, Nile River Valley, Luxor
Level Contributor
10,157 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cairo-Alexandra is driving here as awful as what is...

Connied, I have traveled this road several times by bus and car. Even with a skilled driver it can be a "white knuckled" ride, due mainly to drivers not using their headlights and overpassing at high speed on both sides. Last time, we had a driver who was very good, he kept the headlights on and did not speed but others drove recklessly and without lights. They also do not observe lane markings (eg six cars can spread over four lanes), we witnessed several accidents and one fatality in a two hour period.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
1,324 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cairo-Alexandra is driving here as awful as what is...

I would highly recommend the train to & from Ramses Station in Cairo. Reserve a 1st class seat. You will be more comfortable, calmer, & in a much better mood when you arrive.

10. Re: Cairo-Alexandra is driving here as awful as what is...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2009, 00:19