We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chill Out, please!

Which Cairo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,229 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Chill Out, please!

Well...thank you very much! I think a few of you "got it" and the rest of you just wanted to call me stupid and ignorant. Of course I DID NOT use the flash!

There was no more harm done to the tomb with my camera than if I closed and opened my eyes! Blink! No flash, no harm, no foul. Now, if I sprayed graffiti on the pyramids or dumped something in the Nile, than you can have an issue with me, but I didn't do anything wrong. I highly respect everything, everywhere I travel, never steal bits and pieces of monuments or sacred sites.

I've been around the world since 1982 and have never heard such outrage over something so innocent. This rally makes me question why I am spending $6000 to go BACK to Egypt next month to bolster Egyptian economy. I don't travel on the "cheap" and give out a lot of Baksheesh and tips. One photo is not worth all this critisim. Chill out, please!

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cairo, Egypt, Nile River Valley, Luxor
Level Contributor
8,900 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chill Out, please!

Hi Travelrocker, no harm done as long as you didnt use your flash. I'm sure a lot of people have been tempted, I know I was invited to take a flash piccy by one of the guards, I declined of course but had to think about it,lol.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,229 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chill Out, please!

Thank you so much for writing back, this post was supposed to be attached to the original thread, but got posted as a new one instead. I appreciate that you understand what I said in my original post.

Also, thanks so much for your wonderful advise and info on this site, you are so informative, it is well read. Thought I would drop out for a while, but I realize there are those who go overboard about what is close to their hearts. (We're having that right now in American politics, LOL!)

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
900 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chill Out, please!

TravelRocker,

There are many of us who did not jump on the bandwagon and scold! You did nothing wrong, and I am glad that you are not going to let some of those who got carried away keep you off the forum. I think the fact that you are an American really ignited some on the forum. But that kind of attitude pops up occasionally, and all we can do is ignore it.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
4,146 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chill Out, please!

Yes, things to get "out of hand" sometimes, every few months there is a hot subject that goes a little too far, but when you think of all the subjects that come up and the number of members using the Cairo forum it is quite limited.

Anyway, sorry that this time it happened to be you. Lots of members are very fond of egypt and this does lead to strong emotions.

Hope to continue seeing you on the forum.

Regards

Wendy

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
4,146 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chill Out, please!

Correction "do get"

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,229 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chill Out, please!

Thank you one and all very much, I really mean it. I went home last night pretty low. In the last 6 months I have felt really at home on the Forum and with under 6 weeks to go before my return to beautiful Egypt and it's wonderful people I was beginning to doubt my plans. It seems like most of you "understand" and realize I was not purposefully damaging anything. I'll be careful in the future not to express my excitment so openly, LOL!

Happy Travels to all.

merseyside
Level Contributor
7,909 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chill Out, please!

I actually thought you meant you took your picture with a flash, you never said otherwise. Sorry if I offended you but you cannot expect to put up such a post without causing a bit of a fuss. No matter which way you paint it what you did was against the rulings whether you used flash or not. By the way I don't think you being American has anything at all to do with it...I would think the same of any nationality.

8. Re: Chill Out, please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2009, 13:16