We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Time for flight connection

yorkshire
12 posts
Save Topic
Time for flight connection

Coming back from our holiday to Egypt we have quite a tight turnaround from our domestic flight from Hurghada to our international flight back to London.

Our incoming flight arrives at 07.35 with the international departure at 09.15, both flights are in terminal 1 and both are with Egypt Air.

Our travel agent in Cairo (GAT Tours)is concerned that there is not enough time for the connection and has also advised that we will be unable to check in at Hurghada all of the way through to London. They are suggesting coming back to Cairo a day earlier and staying in an airport hotel.

We're not too keen to do this as it will feel that we have lost a day of our holidays!!!!

Has anybody else got experience of connections at Cairo? Will 1hour 40 mins be sufficient and will we have to check in again at Cairo?

Thanks for any advice

Ian

Luxor/UK
Level Contributor
1,581 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Time for flight connection

I think that it is tight. You will need to claim your luggage and then check in again in Cairo. I thought that internal flights arrived in a different terminal to international flights but do not take my word for it, someone with more experience of Cairo airport may know? I have flown to Luxor from the UK twice and always had to collect my baggage then make my way to check in again at the domestic terminal. If you decide to take the risk then ask your travel company to organise for someone to meet you in Cairo and help you get from A to B as easily and quickly as posssible.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Time for flight connection

If the first flight arrives on time, you should be fine. Problems will happen if your first flight from Hurghada is delayed.

Nobody can predict how likeley that will be. Egypt Air is a ounctual airline, but things happen and delays are always possible when you fly.

I assume if you miss your flight because of a delay caused by Egypt Air, they should be responsible to sort you out. So, it depends on wheather you must return to the UK on that day or can afford an extra night in Cairo at the expense of Egypt Air if things go wrong.

If you want to be on the safe side, take an earlier flight and spend the night at an Airport hotel.

By the way, if your holiday is in December, that should be when the new T3 is ready and there would be no problem in the connection in that case. You would not need to collect your luggage and check-in again.

yorkshire
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Time for flight connection

Thanks very much to you both for your advice.

We have managed to get an e-mail from Egyptair confirming that if we miss the connecting flight they will get us onto the next available flight from Cairo to Heathrow and as its in writing it gives us massive reasurance.

Anyway we travel out to-morrow morning so we can relax and enjoy the next couple of weeks.

Thanks

Ian

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
4,146 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Time for flight connection

Hello Ian,

That is great that Egyptair gave you that assurance, hope that you do not need to use it, and that you will make your connections.

Enjoy your holiday.

Regards

Wendy

5. Re: Time for flight connection

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2009, 05:46