We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rugs from Egypt

Palm Coast, Florida
Level Contributor
1,991 posts
230 reviews
Save Topic
Rugs from Egypt

I would love some tips on buying and the feasability of shipping one home. Any thoughts?

United States
Level Contributor
9,328 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rugs from Egypt

Buying a carpet in Egypt or any middle eastern country requires a bit of knowledge in advance. First you need to go only to reliable shops that deal with foreigners on a regular basis and are pre recommended. In Egypt I have experience with El Kahal which is a large company with branches in many areas including Khan e Kahlili, Nile Hilton shopping arcade and I think more. It is reliable with good quality carpets. Actually many may be from other countries as well. You need to do some research as to what kind you want ie material, size etc. Be prepared for lots of discussion and bargaining complete with tea. They will want to make you think you are insulting them with your price offer but that is all part of the game. It is a process and I find it pretty tiring but worth it in the end if you find what you want at the price that it is "worth to you" with assurance of quality. As for shipping...probably they will do that but honestly better to carry it with you home..preferably as hand carry. They can fold them pretty small and tie them and customs is used to this. Shipping is risky and very slow from Egypt and probably very expensive. You can probably strike a better price with cash but I usually like to put it on my AX card as they will help with any problems with the merchant or goods. Good Luck.

Palm Coast, Florida
Level Contributor
1,991 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rugs from Egypt

Gene thanks so much for the advice. I figure with airlines charging what they do now any transportation will be high.

Quite honestly my knowledge of the rugs is limited. I just know of the reputation of them in that part of the world is high. I am looking for a good quality about 5x7. Any idea of a price range and a material I should consider?

By the way I love to bargin so to me it will be grand.

Preston

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
4,146 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rugs from Egypt

You can also consider buying from "Oriental Weavers" (in Arabic Nasagoon), they have several branches and are the most famous carpet makers in Egypt, and export a lot.

There is a branch in Al Azhar Street on the Al Azhar Mosque side, before you get to the Ghuri Complex. It is worth having a look, I took some of my relatives there as they wanted a small Egyptian Rug and were happy with the quality and the prices.

Regards

Wendy

Palm Coast, Florida
Level Contributor
1,991 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rugs from Egypt

Thanks Wendy. If you ever come this way I owe you a bunch.

Preston

United States
Level Contributor
9,328 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rugs from Egypt

I have no idea on price but a 5 by 7 should be very easy to get home. I personally like wool and silk combo...I have some all wool and some all silk . Actually I did more carpet buying in Turkey than Egypt but same principals apply. Get a couple more names and the one Wendy mentioned sounds very good too...do some comparison shopping to get an idea of prices unless someone with more precise information can give you a range. At first when you walk in to these places it is so overwhelming but these guys love to roll them out one after another. I am not much of an expert but very important to look at the reverse side to check the quality...I really think that or jewelry are the best things to bring back.

Virtual
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Rugs from Egypt

Hi - I do know rugs however, I was wondering how much is considered a good price for a 5x7 silk double knot rug? I bought rugs overseas before. so I know they put it as a carry on. Which is really cool. but I like the silk types. ANy styles you can recommend as well?

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rugs from Egypt

It has been a while since anybody has discussed carpet buying in Egypt. An idea of prices agreed to would be appreciated. For example, in Turkey, after careful bargaining, you can buy a 4 x 6 for about $35US.

Palm Coast, Florida
Level Contributor
1,991 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rugs from Egypt

I offered $100 for a 3x8 and they let me walk.

9. Re: Rugs from Egypt

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2009, 11:25
Get answers to your questions about Cairo