We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gift Ideas Please

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Topic
Gift Ideas Please

Hi,

My husband & I are going to Egypt in Dec. We will be meeting but not staying with my penfriend of 20+ years. He is married with 1 son age 13 & 1 daughter age 12. Does anyone have any ideas about what we could bring each of them as gifts from Canada? Light weight things would be best for us because of weight restrictions of our suitcases. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

Knoxville, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
1,092 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gift Ideas Please

We struggled with this to before our trip as well when we knew our private tour included a dinner one evening in the home of a local family. We asked for advice and read all we could and just could not come up with any good ideas. Finally we opted to look in Athens before we made the jump over to Cairo to start our tour.

Egyptians are very much into sweets so we finally decided to buy a gift box of Greek Chocolates. On the night of the dinner the family truely seemed happy with the gift and later on our tour our guide told us that was a very good idea which any Egyptian family would be glad to receive as a gift.

Have a great trip,

Chris

Cairo, Egypt
Destination Expert
for Egypt, Cairo, Luxor, Aswan, Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
3,183 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gift Ideas Please

I would recommend due to age of children that you may if you know their sizes to get them some nice cloths or for the boy can be nice kind of electronic games or computer games and for the girl if a purse or something elegant for her can be also appreciated

when we as egyptians travel and want to bring gifts for friends and family it is either cloths or something for personal use, food or sweets can be also a good idea if only it is something so tipical, as here we have all western and also eastern sweets and can be optained any where

I would also think for sun glasses, wallets or money purse as i said or may be for the boy nice basball hat from a good quality or sun glass as well

i know it is hard to choose especially if you are not sure for sizes, but general things that do not require size can ba also very appreciated

if the girl would have been bit elder it would have been great to get her a small makeup bag

wish you nice trip

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
4,146 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gift Ideas Please

This quite a difficult question.

I live here and sometimes have relatives visit from the Uk and they have before brought gifts for my Egyptian Husbands family. I observes that everyone was always very touched that they brough gifts with them especially when it was something typical of the Uk (I'm British) or clearly a product of the country.

A few ideas :

Famous chocolates / biscuits / Canadian mug (friend)

Sports bag with Canadian Symbol, baseball cap or other sports related item like a T-shirt (boy)

Cute handbag, pencil case - full of stuff (Girl), watch

Perfume / scarf (wife)

That is what I came up with. Hope it helps, believe me they will be very touched to receive anything you bring, and will give you great Egyptian hospitality.

Regards

Wendy

4. Re: Gift Ideas Please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2009, 21:20