We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Planning from Israel and in country travel

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
323 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Planning from Israel and in country travel

I have been reading a lot of things about the crossover between Israel and Egypt. It has me a bit spooked. Nevertheless, I really wanted to go from Israel to Dahab for some snorkling, St. Katherine's and Mt. Moses and then on to Cairo for Giza and etc. before heading back to the states. I am a solo female and have about a week for Egypt. Getting here and there seems to be a problem. People make out the Bedouins and taxi drivers as always taking advantage of you unless you fearlessly argue and dicker endlessly. There is also some question about the distance from place to place and whether it is possible to fly, take a bus or a taxi. Can someone help out here? Thanks.

Level Contributor
197 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Planning from Israel and in country travel

Hi,

Granted it was nine years ago, but I did travel from Israel to Egypt and back on the ground. We were two young girls, I was twenty-one and my travel companion was nineteen. We just picked a Tel Aviv travel agency at random and booked ground transportation to Cairo. The car left from in front of the agency that night. We even stored our baggage upstairs in their office storage area. For our return trip we bought a transport ticket from an agency in what I believe was the Ramses Hilton. On each trip we had to change cars at the border. Their were some strange experiences going over the border each time...a little nerve-racking at the time, but they made for good stories later on. I'm sure you can arrange your trips from Tel Aviv for Dahab, St Catherines, etc. If you want to arrange them in advance, try some budget travel websites for cheaper tour options like, Boots'n'all, or search the web for Israel based tour agencies. There are so many options when traveling solo and with an open-mind. Have an awesome trip.

If I'm thinking of the right place....I second the recommendation of the Lutheran Guest House. I liked the atmosphere, it was extremely safe, and you'll probably meet other travelers you can hook up with.

Wendrika

2. Re: Trip Planning from Israel and in country travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2009, 10:32