We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Years Eve in Cairo

Palm Coast, Florida
Level Contributor
2,001 posts
230 reviews
Save Topic
New Years Eve in Cairo

Whats it like?

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,728 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Years Eve in Cairo

Hi P,

You will not notice that it's Christmas when you're out in the city. The majority of the population in Egypt is muslim. The Egyptian Christians, also known as Copts, celebrate Christmas in January.

CHEERS!

Mentioned in this post
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
Palm Coast, Florida
Level Contributor
2,001 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Years Eve in Cairo

Thanks I knew that but was wondering about New Years Eve.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
4,146 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Years Eve in Cairo

New Years eve is not really an even either, the was big celebration for the year 2000 , but since then no public events, the best you can expect is an overpriced meal in a hotel an a lot of very loud music etc., not recommended.

If Egyptians do anything they visit relatives and have a party, nothing special - and a lot of people do not do anything a all. The Moslem New Year will be the 29th of December, but it also is not celebrated as such, but it is day off, (the date changes 10 days every year).

Regards

Wendy

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,728 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Years Eve in Cairo

Sorry I thought you asked about Christmas. Anyway New Year is another day in Cairo. Nothing special and no celebrations. Some upscale hotels organise NY dinners and paries but the prices are colossal as Wendy mentioned.

CHEERS!

Palm Coast, Florida
Level Contributor
2,001 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Years Eve in Cairo

Thank you both. I will be in Cairo Monday.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: New Years Eve in Cairo

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294201-i9404-k241…

7. Re: New Years Eve in Cairo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 December 2008, 17:22
8. Re: New Years Eve in Cairo

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 December 2008, 17:22
Warsaw
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: New Years Eve in Cairo

Hello there,

I`ll be spendin New Years in Hilton Hotel..it`ll be my 1st time there so dont know wht to expect, but my positive about it;)))) so relatin to the subject topic, its one of the options but im guessin u`ll also have to foot a lot for that...

regards,

Monika

10. Re: New Years Eve in Cairo

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 17 October 2009, 15:19