We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last Minute two question, please help.

Japan
Level Contributor
26 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Last Minute two question, please help.

Will arrive Cairo at 2 AM on Friday and will travel to Luxor by morning 7:20 AM train.

Shall I directly go to Railway station at this early hour of day and what are the chances to get the first class ticket without advance booking in the train?

Appreciated your help in advance.

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,728 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Last Minute two question, please help.

Hi J,

If I were you I would go directly to the Railway Station and buy the tickets. The chances to find available seats are not high. December is the premium season.

CHEERS

London, United...
Level Contributor
548 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Last Minute two question, please help.

I don't think the ticket window will be open at that time- will it??

Alexandria, Egypt
Level Contributor
884 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Last Minute two question, please help.

By the time you get through passport control, collect your baggage and get across the city, it's probably going to be 4AM at the earliest that you arrive at the station. I'm pretty sure that the ticket office doesn't open before 6:30 AM.

Not sure what the availability will be like though with only a short time before the train leaves.

It is always possible to get on the train and buy tickets when you're on it - you may just have to keep switching seats as you won't really have a seat of your own.

Copenhagen
Level Contributor
2,043 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Last Minute two question, please help.

Not having a seat on your own is not going to be much fun on the 10 hour ride all the way to Luxor. But you never know and as you will be at the station in good time before the train leaves, you should have time to figure something out. But like the others point out, it is high season in Egypt right now and the trains may be full. Good luck with your travels. Hopefully you'll have time to check in here after your trip and let us know how it all went.

Louise

Japan
Level Contributor
26 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Last Minute two question, please help.

Is there any way I can send a last minute Fax to reserve my seat...Any fax number to Reservation office at Cairo Railway station?

Can't find any fax no at http://www.egyptrail.gov.eg/docs/index.html

Thanks

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
10,018 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Last Minute two question, please help.

Have you considered flying? The Egypt Air flights are frequen, fairly cheap and take about 1 hour? You could purchase a carbon offset to lessen the envionmental damage....

Japan
Level Contributor
26 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Last Minute two question, please help.

Intelligent message Leagle,

Please see my reply, I posted my experience under a separate post.

8. Re: Last Minute two question, please help.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2009, 17:17