We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tour guide needed for the khan el khalili bazaar?

denver,pa.
Level Contributor
81 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
tour guide needed for the khan el khalili bazaar?

will be visiting cairo on a guided gate 1 tour , but will be going independently to the bazaar; do we need a guide to go thru there or can we go alone; can someone recomend a guide if we go there? thanks, charlie

Memphis Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Day Trips
' Egypt Tailor Made Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Photography Tours, Day Trips, Safaris
Emo Tours Egypt
City Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours, Other Outdoor Activities
Ramasside Tours - Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
London, United...
Level Contributor
548 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tour guide needed for the khan el khalili bazaar?

you don't need a guide in the bazaar- just wander around. It's quite a rabbit warren though and quite vast though tourists don't go to most of it. If you find you've lost your way just ask anyone for "al-Husseiny" as the mosque is regarded as the gateway to the bazzar and once you're there you'll see taxis etc. Also el-feshawi cafe is quite close to the mosque. Do look at the architecture everywhere though- not just the stuff on sale- it's wonderful if a quite decayed and uncared for!

Level Contributor
146 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: tour guide needed for the khan el khalili bazaar?

Our tour guide came with us to the bazaar in Aswan but just because it was part of the trip.

Learned how to hassle from her — that was convenient.

I just turned away till she was happy with the price, then I paid.

Ahhh.. the benefits of a tour guide.

Anyway, with lessons learned, in Cairo we went on our own.

Try to get at least 60% off the asking price. I went for 80 sometimes.

When their jaw drops in despair you know you hit the bottom line.

Don't be too tight though, they need to make money too.

My real piece of advice is if you really like it — buy it right then and there.

The place is so big you might not have the time to go back and get something you saw earlier or you simply won't be able to find the place again.

Happy hunting.

denver,pa.
Level Contributor
81 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tour guide needed for the khan el khalili bazaar?

many thanks; charlie

denver,pa.
Level Contributor
81 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tour guide needed for the khan el khalili bazaar?

thanks, charlie

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,728 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tour guide needed for the khan el khalili bazaar?

Hi L,

For an ordinary shopping visit you don't need a guide. However if you want to study the historical aspect of the old bazaar, then a guide could be useful. If so, you need to choose your guide carefully because many are more interested in getting commissions from shops than showing you around.

CHEERS!

Fort Collins...
Level Contributor
62 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: tour guide needed for the khan el khalili bazaar?

DaveinJersey,

Did you mean "how to haggle" or how to "hassle".

Surely you were not hassling them ;-)

Level Contributor
146 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: tour guide needed for the khan el khalili bazaar?

Oops. My bad.

Thanks.

Freudian slip.

In hindsight...I was a little of both.

Who's Charlie???

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,230 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: tour guide needed for the khan el khalili bazaar?

Hi, it all depends on what kind of traveler you are, really. We just got back, there are 4 of us that have been all over the world before but Cairo is another story all together.

We knew what we wanted to purchase at the Khan but with so many vendors/stores and stands it would have been very time consuming to do it in any kind of organized fashion.

This is what we ended up doing: We hired a car and guide from our hotel-the Marriott on Zemelek and he drove us there, went in with us and took us to just the kind of stores we needed that the LOCALS shop at. We got 100% cotton shirts for the guys, beautiful gold pendants, rings and earrings, mosiac backgammon boards loaded with inlaid Mother of Pearl, These stores were way inside the Khan away from the "touristy" stuff along the edges. A lot of visitors can't get past this because it's very intense.

Our guide helped us "bargain" with the storekeepers and got us prices that made us and the storekeepers happy. We left after 4 hours feeling like we got what we wanted and weren't hassled to death, it can be truly exhausting. He them met us at the Mosque after his prayers and drove us back to our hotel in the big air conditioned car. We had a wonderful experience and all told it cost $25.00 each for this experience. His name is Tarek and at the Marriott-Zemelek. Most hotels can get you this service.

Happy Travels!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
394 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: tour guide needed for the khan el khalili bazaar?

I have been to the Khan many times and it is much more fun to explore and haggle on your own. Agree with the historical aspect but you can catch up on this info in the guide books. Take your time in the Khan as it is a fascinating experience - just love the shopping, the haggling, the people, the coffee shops and meeting up with the friends that I have made there.

10. Re: tour guide needed for the khan el khalili bazaar?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2009, 04:18
Get answers to your questions about Cairo