We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A free half-day in Cairo..what to do?

Which Cairo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Maryville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
168 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
A free half-day in Cairo..what to do?

My mom and I are so excited to be coming to Egypt in February, as we've waited for many years.

On Day 4 of our tour, we are going to Giza in the morning and Sakara at lunch and for the afternoon. My mother has decided that she doesn't want to go to Sakara for several reasons that I won't bore you with.

What this means, though, is that we will have lunch and the afternoon free in Cairo. WHat to do? Of course, we have a day to go to the museum, as well as a Cairo Spiritual tour, where we'll also go to the Khan-el-Khalili and the Citadel.

We also have one more afternoon on our own. What do you all suggest?

Knoxville, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
1,082 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A free half-day in Cairo..what to do?

It will really depend on what your tour already includes. You may find that you are rushed at Giza in the morning and you may want to return to take some slow time for photos, enter one of the open pyramids or see the solar boat museum. If you tour does not specifically state you'll do these then you'll should consider doing it on your own.

If you have most of the sites of Cairo on your tour you may consider taking a dinner cruise on the nile. The food on ours was good and the belly dancer and whirling show was cool.

Have a great trip,

Chris

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
4,146 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A free half-day in Cairo..what to do?

Bit sad not going to Sakkara, it is really nice, quiet and very different from Giza.

Anyway here are a few suggestions :

1) Gayer Anderson Museum and Ibn Touloun Mosque, and shopping at Khan Misr Touloun. These 3 places are all together in one location so that makes it easy. All are amazing and you just need to get a taxi and ask for Ibn Touloun. It is in the area below the Citadel and it is a short taxi ride from down town.

2) Visit Al Azhar Park

3) Do one of these two walks :

Islamic Cairo (Walk 1)

Islamic Cairo (Walk 2)

Search on the forum to know more about these locations.

Regards

Wendy

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,728 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A free half-day in Cairo..what to do?

Hi T,

I agree with Wendy's post. Only one small thing to add, try to have lunch or dinner at the Citadel restaurant in Al Azhar Park. The food is excellent and the restaurant has a stunning panoramic view of Cairo. There is also a Café called "Alain le Notre" on the second floor of the restaurant. The view is also breathtaking from the balcony. Note that it gets cold in the evening in February so have a warm jacket.

Have a nice trip!

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,164 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A free half-day in Cairo..what to do?

I don't know where your spiritual tour will take you, but if not to the Coptic Museum then do go there. It's in the city centre, and easily accessible by metro, which is quite fun as well. It's in a beautiful old building and has Christian artefacts and art dating back to the 2nd century AD. Egypt was one of the earliest places for Christianity. The museum cafe doesn't look much but we had a very nice salad and found it very welcoming.

Maryville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
168 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A free half-day in Cairo..what to do?

Thanks Chris!

I see you're from PIgeon Forge..I'm from Maryville! Are you enjoying our crazy weather?

Maryville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
168 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A free half-day in Cairo..what to do?

CairoWendy, my main concern about Sakara and looking at pictures is that there is mostly soft sand there, and acres between pyramids. If that's the case, it would be difficult for my mom to do that much walking. But if I have the wrong idea and it is worth making the trip, then by all means, I'll talk her into it.

I love the other ideas as well. we have several other times on out trip with free time on our hands so this has given us some great ideas - thanks so much!!

Level Contributor
7,881 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A free half-day in Cairo..what to do?

Hello...while I totally see the thinking that you do not want to waste an afternoon of your trip...you might just want to have a few ideas in your mind and also leave open the option of a bit of downtime. I have seen so many people on tours over there like walking zombies. Tours have you up very very early and lots of walking etc. and sometimes just taking a few hours off without a schedule is good...just sit in your hotel lobby and watch people (if it is an interesting lobby) or just rest and then go somewhere at night. Have no idea how old your mother is but my parents needed some down time when we went...it is an exhausting country to visit...just some thoughts and if the energy level is high certainly there are many good ideas here...good luck!

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
4,146 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A free half-day in Cairo..what to do?

Yes the is some walking to do but it the car / bus parking area is not that far from the Pyramids and the place is very quiet and it would be a shame to miss it.

Of course any place you visit will involve walking and you will find also that in Egypt pavements are very high, it is crazy, hope this will not disturb your Mother too much.

Al Azhar Park is very nice, some parts are hilly, so you could keep to the flatter areas and it is really clean and nice (ususual in Egypt !) with benches and low walls to sit on.

Ibn Touloun and the Gayer Anderson Museum would not be a problem, no need to climb the minaret ! but be aware that monument do close around 5pm, some times earlier, so better go in the earlier part of the day.

At Khan Khalili there are a lot of Coffee shops and places to eat so sitting down is not a problem.

Egypt is quite an exhausting destination - being fit helps but if you take things easy I am sure it will work out.

Any advise you need please ask.

Wendy

Maryville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
168 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A free half-day in Cairo..what to do?

Thanks so much for all your help! We are building quiet time into our schedule. For example, we are not going back to Giza for the light show..we will just relax.

CairoWendy, I think I will talk to my mom about going to Sakara..it sounds like we shouldn't miss it. By the way, thank you for all your posts..I've read your suggestions and walks and they sound terrific!

Level Contributor
7,881 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A free half-day in Cairo..what to do?

By the way I agree that Sakara is really important to see so if you can include it that would be the best use of the time..