We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Smallest Water bottle size & tipping desk clerks, concierge

Which Cairo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Maryland, USA
Level Contributor
87 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Smallest Water bottle size & tipping desk clerks, concierge

Hi, travelers and Egypt experts:

1) In recent discussions on drinking water 1.5 L bottles were mentioned that got me wondering. Outside restaurants, don't they also sell water in smaller sized bottles? I want to travel as compactly as possible, and I have different size day packs for sightseeing to choose from.

2) In lots of posts on tipping I don't recall the specific mention of hotel front desk clerks, concierges, etc. I expect that I would ask them questions of where, when, what, how, aside from trying to get change or other requests. It's part of their job, but is it nowadays expected to tip each time? I assume if I were to ask the concierge to arrange something for me, a trip or taxi, I would be expected to tip an appropriate amount.

Thanks for your advice.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
4,146 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Smallest Water bottle size & tipping desk clerks, concierge

About the mineral water bottles, the 3 main sizes are 1.5 L, 1.0 L and 600 ml. Simetimes you see a smaller bottle about 250 ml, but have not seen any in a while.

I like the 600 ml size as it is easy enough to carry around, and on a hot day it does not take long to finish it. not quite sure but I think the 600ml bottle will cost you 1.50 LE in supermarkets and kiosks, in remote places i.e the Pyramids of Giza, they will want to charge you more, so better to have your own with you.

In hotels I generally only tip the guy who carries the bags, never really think of the reception staff, guess it is a personal choice.

It is always better to get a taxi away from your hotel, if possible, as one from just outside the hotel will be over priced, I suggest you walk a few minutes away from the hotel and find your own, do not worry Cairo is full of taxi's all on the look out for foreign passengers, just have an idea of how much to pay.

Here is a useful page on taxi's :

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294201-s304/Cairo:Eg…

And one on tipping etc :

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294201-c83628/Cairo:…

Aswan, Egypt
Level Contributor
361 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Smallest Water bottle size & tipping desk clerks, concierge

Hi Kusel

Here in Aswan, they charge nowadays 2.5LE for a bottle of water 1.5 litr. (Dasani)

About tips, i believe that if i the service which is presented to me, then i can leave some tips to encourage them

Tips have become system in tourism in Egypt, i hate that really

Cheers,

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
684 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Smallest Water bottle size & tipping desk clerks, concierge

kusel, I always bring my own small travel water bottle which fits perfectly in my day pack or purse. Then I just buy the biggest, cheapest water when I get here and keep it filled.

I also bring a few packets of gatoraid (there are many brands), and sprinkle it in. Not only does it keep you hydrated, but it makes the water tasts a lot better when it get warm from carrying around all day.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Smallest Water bottle size & tipping desk clerks, concierge

There are various smaller sizes as Wendy mentioned of drinking water.

Do not tip reception staff and clerks. Tourists who do these things only encourage the culture of tipping and help establishing the rule that nobody will work unless tipped and that is quite a dangerous result.

Bag carriers and other labour-oriented jobs are generally poor people who receive minimum to zero wages and I understand the need to tip them, but clerks and receptionists although are not as better-off as people with the same jobs in the developed world, still earn acceptable wages and can afford a decent life + all of them are educated and mostly with university degree, so they have better opprotunities than others.

You should only tip one if they go out of their way to do you a hell of a favor that is totally not part of their job and they would have not done it for you otherwise.

5. Re: Smallest Water bottle size & tipping desk clerks, concierge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2009, 21:17