We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

got sick in cairo

Level Contributor
706 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
got sick in cairo

my two weeks in cairo in december - at my hotel which was the ramses hilton and very very nice - i ran out of bottled water and too lazy to ask for more-went to the bathroom and drank the tap water i only had one glass (last time i was in cairo at the sheraton drank the water from the tap didn't get sick) i got montazumas revenge had the runs it was really auful. went downstairs to the desk the ramses has a pharmacy across the street and you can get most any kind of medicines without a doctor's perscription - these were very strong pills i think they were called condair??? while it took away one problem these pills gave me side effects i stopped taking the pills after the third one - decided to go home - yes i agree i have only myself to blame but this year i again booked a trip to cairo egypt with british airways and got a very good rate at the grand hyatt....will never drink from the tap again.

Level Contributor
706 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: got sick in cairo

did i see anything of cairo - unfortunately no. i got sick the third day the first two days i relaxed at the hotel after two long flights to get to egypt.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
719 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: got sick in cairo

Awwww... poor you. It would've been better if you ate something bad, at least you can blame something else but damn, you drank tap water. Tsk tsk tsk.

A lesson well learned, I hope.

=p

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: got sick in cairo

don't get lazy with that the next time :)

Even people I know who still drink tap water they all have filters in their houses where the water passes by first before reaching the drinking tap. Drinking tap water right away from the bathroom tap will not always hurt you, but will not always be nice with you!

The quality of the water may vary depending on many things including the time of the day and the path the water came from. So, you may not get sick everytime. Sometimes, in places like hotels the problem might not be because water is dirty. Actually the opposite. The cleaners they use to purify the water may be too concentrated and make you sick. Such places use a lot of Cl and other chemicals to clean the water and those are what would hurt you if you drink it.

Tap water is fine when used in little portions such as ice or in washing salads or brushing your teeth, but drinking should never happen without at least a filter.

Level Contributor
706 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: got sick in cairo

darsh thanks for your understanding reply - you know the water did taste kind of clorinated - imagine drinking a glass of water could ruin a trip.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
4,146 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: got sick in cairo

Sorry to hear that you got sick and had to cut short your visit to Cairo.

Good of you to admit what you did and what happened, hope in future trips you will have good health and enjoy your time here.

Regards

Wendy

Level Contributor
706 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: got sick in cairo

wendy thank you for your kindness as always. hopefully this year i will have better luck in egypt

which i am scheduled to go back and i look forward.

Level Contributor
706 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: got sick in cairo

p.s. by the way wendy i know you have mixed feelings on the ramses hilton but i must have been lucky my room was large nicely furnished with a swell view of cairo the people at the hotel were just swell before and after i got sick i can't tell you how nice they gave me so much bottled water i could have started another nile. the ramses was the one bright spot of my trip.my trip to egypt will be in december 2009 a long way off. i never got to haggle with the taxidrivers what a shame. well if at first you don't succeed try try again.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: got sick in cairo

I was in Egypt in December also, and stayed for 2 nights at the Ramses Hilton. Granted, it was very nicely furnished and small balcony overlooked the street - very noisy at night with all the honking the drivers do. I was a little disappointed that the rooms do not have a safe, as taking anything to the Reception desk is very time consuming. The hotel lobby was always packed with people, so there was never any seating available. The buffet restaurant for breakfase was the same- and I was a solo customer. I finally had to get someone on staff to locate a seat for me, and I was glad that I had a sweater with me so that I could "save" my seat.

The first 2 days in Cairo we stayed at Le Peridien Pyraminds - which I liked much better: less busy, nice restaurants, etc. Hopefully, I can spend a few days later this year.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
4,146 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: got sick in cairo

Instruction01,

Good to hear that you liked your hotel :) I have not stayed there, well as I live here no need to stay in hotels !

Hope that your next trip will be much better, and not cut short.

Regards

Wendy

Level Contributor
706 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: got sick in cairo

question3 re: the ramses hilton my room had a safe it ould be because i had booked the ramses for 15 nights although i got sick and stayed only 10 nights.when i was able to eat at the beginning of my trip i liked the breakfast as well as the dinners both were buffet. WENDY as always thank you for your kind and caring replies always and always grateful..