We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to buy train tickets to Alexandria

Which Cairo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
394 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
How to buy train tickets to Alexandria

We would like to take the train to Alexandria and back. Does anyone know how we can get these tickets ahead of time?

Thanks

Cairo - Egypt
Level Contributor
600 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How to buy train tickets to Alexandria

I'm afraid there's no direct way to do that on your own. Online ticketing is not yet on.

However, when you're in Egypt you can but your tickets (including return trip) up to 1 week in advance from main railway terminal in Cairo (Ramsis Square, Mubarak subway station) or from a few other branches in Cairo. Or of course you can arrange with your tour operator to have them ready before your arrival. Last-minute booking not recommended.

Check out schedules and fares here:

egyptrail.gov.eg/aspprotectdotnet/online/sta…

Nice time in Egypt

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
711 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to buy train tickets to Alexandria

Hmmm... so to clarify.... it's not something we can book on our first day of arrival in Cairo?

We were planning to visit Alexandria on our 4th day in Cairo.

Cairo - Egypt
Level Contributor
600 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How to buy train tickets to Alexandria

Good morning, Coolitz

Yes, I do recommend buying your Alexandria tickets at least 1 day before travel--say on your 1st, 2nd or 3rd day. Being at the ticketing office, you also buy return tickets.

Cheers

Hyderabad
Level Contributor
15 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to buy train tickets to Alexandria

We bought Turbini tickets one day before from Ramses Railway station. Cost LE 32 one way per person. Booked return tickets also. This was on 12-1-2009 and the train was not crowded. Go to booking window at left farside corner after you enter the Station.

Aswan, Egypt
Level Contributor
361 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How to buy train tickets to Alexandria

There are trains from Cairo to Alex. every 2hours

You can also check www.egyptrail.gov.eg or www.egypt.gov.eg, you can book train tickets easily from these 2 websites

Regards,

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
394 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to buy train tickets to Alexandria

I tried using these sites and when I clicked on reservations I got a page saying it wasn't available. Can you tell me how to use this website?

Thanks

Alexandria, Egypt
Level Contributor
884 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to buy train tickets to Alexandria

I get the same message Tazz - and I tried in the Arabic version for you too just incase it was only not working in English.

The only help I can offer is - try to click this link:

https:/…default.asp

It's a part of the railway website and tells you how to go about booking a ticket online. Whether it will work or not is debatable - one person said that it worked fine up until it got to the payment stage, and then it told them it was unable to proceed. But it may be worth a try!

Alexandria, Egypt
Level Contributor
884 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to buy train tickets to Alexandria

PS: Sorry the link came out looking a bit dubious! And if you're security conscious, like me - you wouldn't be clicking that!

It said masr.gov.eg/english/services/enr/default.asp

Cairo - Egypt
Level Contributor
600 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: How to buy train tickets to Alexandria

As far as I know, online ticketing is not yet in place.

Aswan, Egypt
Level Contributor
361 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: How to buy train tickets to Alexandria

Hi Tazz

Try this link http://www.seat61.com/Egypt.htm, if it didnt work, then book from Cairo train station

Sometimes the service isnt availble on these sites

Regards,