We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with Egypt itinerary in November

California
Level Contributor
95 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Help with Egypt itinerary in November

I am a single traveler in his mid 60's. I have a frequent flyer ticket to Egypt for Nov. 4 through Nov. 10. I prefer to travel without a tour; but, am certainly open to suggestions. If one should book a tour for those dates can one suggest a good tour company to contact for land only? I was initially thinking about touring on my own including a train trip to Luxor; but, any itinery and travel suggestions would certainly be appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
Luxor
Luxor
Nile River Valley, Egypt
Southampton
Level Contributor
284 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with Egypt itinerary in November

Although I have never done it I have heard the overnight train to luxor is easy and worth doing. You could contact Jolleys to arrange any sightseeing you do while you are there. As for around Cairo it is easy enough to get around and there are always taxi's and buses to get you where you want to go, for reasonable prices if you barter well.

In my experience alot of the major tour groups trips are quite expensive unless you book the whole holiday with them. Where else were you thinking of going? Around Cairo saqqara is worth a visit, the pyramids, khan al khalili, the alabaster mosque and the museum are all the traditional places to see.

Mentioned in this post
Cairo
Cairo
Cairo Governorate, Egypt
California
Level Contributor
95 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with Egypt itinerary in November

Thank you for the information. I am interested to know what might be the best sites (highlights) to see both in Cairo and Luxor (or elsewhere) in that short time. I was hoping to take a night train to Luxor; but, may need to book a flight. There is so much to see that I was hoping for some suggestions on what best to take in during those days that might optimize my time . Thank you again.

Mentioned in this post
Cairo
Cairo
Cairo Governorate, Egypt
Luxor
Luxor
Nile River Valley, Egypt
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
4,146 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with Egypt itinerary in November

The time is a little short, but you should be able to see the main sites of Cairo and Luxor.

I would suggest that you fly to Luxor, the flights are quite cheap when booked well in advance, and the flight only takes one hour.

In Cairo the main attractions are :

The Egyptian Museum (in Tahrir Square)

The Pyramids of Giza

The Pyramids of Saqqara

Khan Khalili Market

Various monuments of Islamic Cairo

You can easily do this on your own, booking the hotels on line is a possibility and the major sites can be reached by taxi, see the forum FAQ's for advice on taxi prices etc.

Buy a couple of good guide books and search here on the Cairo and Luxor forums, and you will get all the advice you need.

If you do decide to do part of the trip with local private guides that is easy to arrange in advance by email, you will find a list in the forum FAQ's it covers Cairo and Luxor.

November is a good month weather wise.

Regards

Wendy

Mentioned in this post
Cairo
Cairo
Cairo Governorate, Egypt
Luxor
Luxor
Nile River Valley, Egypt
Giza
Giza
Giza Governorate, Egypt
Islamic Cairo
Islamic Cairo
684 Reviews
Cairo, Egypt
London, United...
Level Contributor
870 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with Egypt itinerary in November

I've been to Egypt about 7 or 8 times as my best mate lived in El Rehab (new city on the Suez Road for 3 years) about 20 kms from Cairo. I haven't been there for 3-4 years though so my info may be a little out of date.

I loved the Mohammed Ali mosque as it has amazing views over Cairo. I also loved Bab Suweila (I've spelt it phonetically as I can't spell it properly!!). I found this market much more "Egyptian" than the main Khan Khaleli market.

We found a glass factory where the chap recycled glass and made ashtrays and candlestick holders. It was a really rundown place but I loved it (and it was soooooo cheap!!!)

Agree with Sakkara, Gisa and The Egyptian Museum though, amazing, truely amazing. It makes me want to go back asap.

Mentioned in this post
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
Cairo
Cairo
Cairo Governorate, Egypt
Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
2,645 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with Egypt itinerary in November

I would also recommend flying down to Luxor, I used the train from Luxor to Aswan last month which started in Cairo and it was 3 hours late and from other posts that is not unusual. You can look at You Tube to get an idea of what they are like.

I usually use http://www.reallifeegypt.com/ for my airport transfers and trips while in Luxor, they also organized my guide and transport when I went to Cairo for the day. As you are on a tight schedule it would be good to organize it before you go. But it is cheaper if you can do some research and just use taxi's but seeing it is your first time it would be nice to have a guide for the sites.

To book your flights go to egyptair.com/English/Pages/splashpage.aspx I usually put in my home country as Egypt as the flights are cheaper. You will get an e-ticket. Flown with them 5 - 6 times and had no problem.

Phil

Mentioned in this post
Luxor
Luxor
Nile River Valley, Egypt
Aswan
Aswan
Aswan Governorate, Egypt
Cairo
Cairo
Cairo Governorate, Egypt
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
6. Re: Help with Egypt itinerary in November

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2009, 10:21