We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Supermarkets

LYNN MA USA
8 posts
Save Topic
Supermarkets

Because of some food allergies I always visit a local supermarket to buy some of the plainer foods that I need, especially rice cakes which don't travel well. Also my husband and I enjoy shopping where the local people shop for regular food. We've had some interesting experiences this way.

Am I correct in assuming that there are some "western style" supermarkets in Cairo? We are staying at the Novotel 6th of October. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Kathy

Khan Al-Khalili
Flea & Street Markets, Shopping Malls, Architectural Buildings
Copenhagen
Level Contributor
2,043 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Supermarkets

Yep, there are western style supermarkets in Cairo, but unfortunately I am not familiar with 6th of October City, so I cannot direct you to any supermarkets there. However, I should think that other members will be able to do that.

Louise

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
4,146 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Supermarkets

The 6th of October is a quite upmaket residential area, very popular place to live. For sure you will find plenty of supermarkets, and small general shops, but like Louise I do not know the area of the hotel and very rarely go to 6th of October.

Even if you have to take a taxi from the hotel to the shopping area that would not be a problem, for sure the staff at the hotel wil advice you where to go.

Regards

Wendy

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Supermarkets

The closest massive supermarket to Novotel Media City is HyperOne which is about a 15-minute drive from the hotel. The Novotel is not inside the 6th of October City. It is a few kilometres outside the town center. So, you will need to drive to get anywhere or arrange transport with the hotel.

There is a huge upmarket housing development project called Dream Land with a huge theme park and a golf club right accross the main road opposite the Media City where your hotel is. I haven't been inside Dream Land for 9 years now. The last time I was there it was still under construction and only the theme park was in operation, but I assume now there must be decent shoipping facilities available there to cater for all people living there.

4. Re: Supermarkets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2009, 20:20
Get answers to your questions about Cairo