We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

carrying bacon and alcohol into egypt?

herts
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
carrying bacon and alcohol into egypt?

Im flying into Sharm El sheik and want to bring bacon amd a bottle of port for a friend. does anyone know if there are any restrictions carrying these items ina suitcase into the country? Im flying with easyjet.

Copenhagen
Level Contributor
2,043 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: carrying bacon and alcohol into egypt?

As long as you are not bringing in amounts which are against the duty-free laws, you can bring alcohol to Egypt.

If the bacon is vacuum-packed I see no problem in that either.

There are restrictions related to fresh food-stuff in most countries because of the risk of contamination, but as long as it is not fresh, "unwrapped" meat there should be no problem. I have often brought food to Egypt with no problems.

I don't know Easy Jet's rules concerning this. Better to check.

Louise

herts
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: carrying bacon and alcohol into egypt?

Thanks Louise, I appreciate it

Julia

England
Level Contributor
756 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: carrying bacon and alcohol into egypt?

I took some for a friend (also sausages and pies) I froze it all and put it in an insulated bag at the last minute then in my case. It was fine

Cairo
Level Contributor
272 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: carrying bacon and alcohol into egypt?

Bacon no problems. My wife is involed in the airline industry and is in and out of Egypt at least twice a month, I have a standing order of bacon!!!She usually brings 3 or 4 packs a trip.

A bottle of port ... you can bring up to 3 bottles of spirts.

herts
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: carrying bacon and alcohol into egypt?

Thanks thats great

UK
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: carrying bacon and alcohol into egypt?

You can bring 1 litre of alcohol into Egypt. So unless they are small bottles of spirits, you can't bring 3!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: carrying bacon and alcohol into egypt?

You are officlally allowed to bring in 1 Lt. but they usually allow little extra, so I doubt they will charge you for 2 or 3, thta is if they open your bags anyway, it doesn't happen that much in the first place.

UK
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: carrying bacon and alcohol into egypt?

I don't think a "destination expert" should be encouraging people to break Egyptian laws! The law is the law, and it says 1 litre. If you take more, you are breaking the law and risking any consequences that may arise. Your choice. Personally I wouldn't like to spend my holiday in an Egyptian jail just because I wanted to save a few $ bringing my own drink in...

9. Re: carrying bacon and alcohol into egypt?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2009, 02:18
Get answers to your questions about Cairo