We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

good guidebook

Highlands Ranch...
Level Contributor
190 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
good guidebook

I always travel with a guidebook. Any suggestions on a good one for Cairo?

Aswan, Egypt
Level Contributor
361 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: good guidebook

Lonely Planet or the Rough Guide

Avoid Guide Routard

Best Wishes

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
4,146 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: good guidebook

Hello,

I just love guide books and maps and have a huge collection, and these are mainly for Egypt !! my own treasured favourite is "Dorling Kindersley Eye Witness Guide - Egypt" it keeps your interest with lots of good maps and photos and just enough information to get by on.

We have an insider page all about the subject of Travel Guide Books :

"tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294201-s205/Cairo:Eg…

Also once you are here you will find some locally produced guide books and maps, the AUC Press has a large collection, and they have a book store at the American University (on Tahrir Square) which is in downtown not far from the Egyptian Museum.

Regards

Wendy

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
4,146 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: good guidebook

Me again,

There is a very good range of pocket books that you can get easily in Cairo (Published by the AUC Press), a wide variety of subjects, and easy to carry around. They sell at 35 LE each here in Cairo.

Here is a link :

aucpress.com/…

I have many of them and often give them to friends and relatives as a gift.

Regards

Wendy

Highlands Ranch...
Level Contributor
190 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: good guidebook

Thanks! The two I bought were "National Geographic's guide to Egypt" and "DK Eye Witness Guide - Egypt". I like them both, but wanted to see if there were any specific to Cairo. I think between the two of them, I can make a decision and be on my way!!!

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
4,146 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: good guidebook

Sounds like you are well equipped !

I believe that the Lonely Planet has one for Cairo and another for the whole of Egypt. But I still stand by DK Eyewittness Guide.

Regards

Wendy

Level Contributor
8,117 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: good guidebook

I have one called "Cairo The Practical Guide" and it is actually by the American University in Cairo Press and is sold in Cairo at the AUC bookstores that Cairo Wendy mentioned. It is sort of geared to someone who is actually moving there but enough other information to be good for tourists too. Lots on culture and insights on lifestyle. Not much on accommodations etc. I got it at Barnes and Noble in the USA...one of the few I have found that concentrates on Cairo.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: good guidebook

Rough Guide and Lonely Planet are the Manchester United and Liverpool of Egypt guides. So, you can choose one of them. I would go for the most recently published.

I have both older versions (2002). The rough guide is more detailed and is more back-packeer oriented.

Both are not really pocket-friendly, but when I visit a country like Egypt with limited tourist information facility, I would look for the depth of onformation rather than the convinience of carrying!

As for the practical guide, AUC mainly targets with it foreigners living in Cairo. It tells more about how to "live in Cairo" and deal with all aspects of daily life in it.

It is a useful reading if you really want to explore the deapest of the local sides of life.

The map book that comes with it (at an extra charge and you can also buy it on its own) is the best map I have ever seen for Cairo. I always have a copy in my car of its latest version.

8. Re: good guidebook

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2009, 07:22