We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Only have 2 days to see Luxor - should we still go?

Level Contributor
152 posts
148 reviews
Save Topic
Only have 2 days to see Luxor - should we still go?

We have a quick spring break trip to Egypt. I want to see Luxor but will only have 2 days and one night. Should we still go??

Mentioned in this post
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
Luxor
Luxor
Nile River Valley, Egypt
Luxor/UK
Level Contributor
1,581 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Only have 2 days to see Luxor - should we still go?

I would say yes, definitely. You could easily see most of the major sights if you use the whole 2 days for sightseeing. You could possibly even include a hot air balloon flight early on one morning. If you won't get the chance to visit again then don't miss out.

London, United...
Level Contributor
548 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Only have 2 days to see Luxor - should we still go?

Yes I agree- you can see a lot in 2 days. You can take a taxi to the Valley of the Kings and Valley of the Queens (will include Queen Hatchepsut's temple) on one day and the next day go to Karnak and Luxor temple- which are on the east bank of the river- where most of the hotels are

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai, Side
Level Contributor
20,555 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Only have 2 days to see Luxor - should we still go?

:-0

Should you go????

Is the Pope Catholic!!?

Yes, you should go! Karnak & Luxor are amazing & very close together; you can see them in one day & the bazaar is close by if you fancy trying out your haggling skills.

Have been 3 times to Karnak & Luxor & will def go again.

Enjoy!

Regards

Mentioned in this post
Luxor
Luxor
Nile River Valley, Egypt
Tokyo
Level Contributor
2,346 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Only have 2 days to see Luxor - should we still go?

I did Luxor, both west and east banks, in two days on my recent trip. The first day was spent on the west bank on a tour, then the following day on Karnak and Luxor Temples.

You better give it a go so as not to regret not having done it...

Mentioned in this post
Luxor
Luxor
Nile River Valley, Egypt
Aswan, Egypt
Level Contributor
361 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Only have 2 days to see Luxor - should we still go?

Ofcoarse one night 2 days is enough to see whole Luxor, you can visit the East Bank on the 1st day and the West Bank on the 2nd day

Also you can join the hot air balloon on the early morning of the 2nd day

Have a nice trip

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
4,146 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Only have 2 days to see Luxor - should we still go?

Yes it is enough time, if you are coming from Cairo then it would be practical to fly both ways, the flight is just one hour.

Luxor is a great place to visit, one of the best in the world.

Regards

Wendy

Mentioned in this post
Cairo
Cairo
Cairo Governorate, Egypt
Copenhagen
Level Contributor
2,043 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Only have 2 days to see Luxor - should we still go?

I agree with what has been said above and with Wendy's suggestion of flying. Cairo and Luxor are only an hour's flight apart, and there are flights from early in the morning.

Check www.egyptair.com (and put your home country as Egypt) and search for available flights and their (often) reasonable prices.

First day, upon arrival, you should head over to the Westbank and see:

Valley of the Kings

Temple of Hatshepsut

Deir el-Medina (artisan's village and tombs)

Memnon Collossi

Then head back to your hotel, rest, have a bite to eat and go exploring the souk, the Corniche, the backstreets etc. Find a place to get a snack or head back to hotel and go to bed early ;o)

Next day, get up early and go to the mighty Karnak Temple, spend at least 1½ hour there, head into town again to see the Luxor Temple, rest, have a lunch and go see the Luxor Museum. You could arrange to see the Luxor Museum on your way back to the airport. The museum is small (but exquisite) and you don't need more than an hour to see and admire the best stuff there. Also, it is on the way to the airport.

You could pre-arrange your trip before you arrive through a number of online operators or you can arrange it when you arrive, as there are plenty of agencies in town. With your limited amount of time, I suggest you pre-plan so that everything is finalized and you don't have to haggle and all that.

If you do not want to be on a tour as such, you can also just jump into a taxi and have him taking you the places you want to go. Agree on a price first, agree that you are talking about Egyptian Pounds and not English Pounds, agree that you pay for the car, not the amount of persons etc.

If you can manage what I have suggested above, you will have schratched the surface of Luxor and will still have much more to see, should you return one day ;-)

You can check this go-list for more info on the sites suggested above, just skip whatever text you find uniteresting:

tripadvisor.co.uk/GoListDetail-i17313-Theban…

We are also working on setting up an article about the most common scams in Luxor, you might wanna read that as well:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g294205-c108817/Lux…

Also, lots of great info here and in the Luxor forum.

Louise

Mentioned in this post
Cairo
Cairo
Cairo Governorate, Egypt
Luxor
Luxor
Nile River Valley, Egypt
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
Medina
Medina
Al Madinah Province, Saudi Arabia
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Only have 2 days to see Luxor - should we still go?

yes of course! It goes without saying :)

9. Re: Only have 2 days to see Luxor - should we still go?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2009, 07:22