We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camel Rides

Manchester
10 posts
Save Topic
Camel Rides

Where would be the best place to go for a Camel ride in eiter Cairo or Luxor and how much should I expect to pay?

London, United...
Level Contributor
548 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camel Rides

Cairo at the pyramids would be my recommendations- though it's possible to arrange to ride a camel anywhere in Egypt!

Don't pay more than 50LE but would go for 30LE as your starting offer!

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
4,146 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camel Rides

Agree, the Pyramids is the most common place to get a ride, the Panorama (viewing point) is a good place to get one, it is normal to agree for an hour or half and hour.

I managed to get several camels for 25 LE each for half an hour, but I was really tough with the man, they are a tricky lot !! so watch out !

Make sure that the 25 LE (or what ever you manage to agree) is for 2 persons (if 2 persons are riding it), the man wanted to charge me 25 LE each rider when they got back - but I did not agree. Pay only after the ride and tip the camel boy if he has been ok with you. These people are a rough lot, so keep your eyes open. All my relatives really enjoyed their rides and the photos were great :)

Wendy

canada
13 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Camel Rides

Hello All

I'm agree with you that at Cairo is the best place where you can take memorial photos as for the prices it's according to your way can take an hour with 50LE maybe less .

Have fun

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Camel Rides

Wendy is right, I think you can get a 30-minute ride easily for 25 pounds. You pay be camel and not by person. TRhe last time I had to do this was during a friends visit in 2001, it was 20 LE then, so after 8 years, I can imagine where the 25 came from, but 50 would be a bit too much.

You have to negotiate hard though and show that you are indifferent and willing and able to walk away in case you don't get the price you want.

Also, you have to agree on all details before you ride:

1) rout of the trip, if any, unless you just want to wonder around.

2) duration.

3) there are no hiden or extra charges.

If the animal keeper tries to add any hidden costs or break any of the agreed upon conditions, simply tell him that you are fine but you will cut the price you agreed upon by X or Y, depending on what changes he proposes.

Some of them, quite rare, do things such as saying taht they would not allow you off the camel unless you pay extra (quite rare incidents, but happens). Stay calm but threaten him in a confident but aggressive way "do this and I will get you the police", something on those lines! and he will let you go imediately.

Don't be put off by all that, it is just that they are a rough lot and dealing with them is rough too, but at the end customer service is not all what this is about.

Newark, New Jersey
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Camel Rides

Just a word to the wise... Locals will offer for you to take a picture standing next to their camel, but if you do, they will ask for $$$$ afterwards. Just wait until you ride the camel to take all the pictures you want.

NY
Level Contributor
210 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Camel Rides

Haven't been there so I can't verify this, but I've heard they charge you one fee to get on the camel... and an even higher fee to help you get off the lovely-smelling animal.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Camel Rides

In all cases as I said above, never pay anything unless you are convinced. Remember, you are the stronger side and any reference to tourist police will make sure they end any scamming attempts.

Scams do happen but if you are warned (like how you are now after readong them) aloowing them to happen will be only your choice and your fault.

Just say no and stick to it and stay cool. Nobody can charge you for helping you to get off the camel. If this happens, turn aggresive and stand on firm ground.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
54 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Camel Rides

Last week we paid EP40 per person (one camel each) for over and hour plus EP30 in tips EP10 each boy. Our guide arranged it.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Camel Rides

That is a bit high, but I wouldn't consider it a serious scam. Only it could have been cheaper.

By the way, what is it about the boys?? I know that camels have keepers, usually the men with the traditional dress. It was rare that they had little boys assisting them. That now seems to be the norm!!

Your tip for the boys should be voluntary and not part of the deal. If it is part of deal, rest assured it will end up in your guide;s and the animal keeper's pocket!

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
54 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Camel Rides

The tips were completely voluntary.

The camel ride was a highlight of the trip and the 2 boys and one adult were very friendly and took lots of photos of us on our camels. We got some great photo opportunities before, after and during the ride.

We were aware of the going rates and we were told the price before we started and agreed on it. We were happy with EP40 as we had a really long ride and we tipped at the upper end of what we had been told as we do for good service (the Lonely Planet said EP35/hour is the official rate for camels and we had read here (I think)that EP5-10 per attendant was acceptable).

The camels seemed healthy as did the attendants and we did see some pretty scummy camels especially as we were staying in an apartment in the local area and saw them in the streets every day.

We got more than we expected and are still happy with what we received.

If a local can get half an hour for EP25 why is EP40 for over an hour a bit high?

I am not sure where the SCAM comes in.

Susan