We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cairo to Alexandria

Which Cairo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
tampa
1 post
Save Topic
Cairo to Alexandria

We will be in Cairo for several days before our tour starts and have been invited with several others to take a bus/van to Alexandria for the day. Understand it will be over a 2 hr. drive there and was wondering if it was worth it or should we stay in Cairo and do you have any suggestions of what to see.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
4,146 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cairo to Alexandria

The drive to Alexandria takes about 3 hours approx, the train is actually a very good way to get there, also safer and faster (2 hours).

Alexandria is a pleasant city and does have some historical sites, but cannot be compared to Cairo, visitors often come back mainly complimenting he nice atmosphere, and great seafood lunch :)

So if you would be ready to spend your time in Cairo there are lots of things you could do without being in a group, but using taxi's and a guide book, a few examples would be :

- Sultan Hassan Mosque / Ibn Touloun Mosque / Gayer Anderson Museum (2 restored Islamic Houses) they are all in the same district and well worth your time.

- Pyramids of Saqqara and Dashur (for this you would need to book a private guide with transportation), please see the list in the forum FAQ's.

- Al-Azhar Park

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g294201-d5…

- A Faloucca ride on the Nile (local sailing boat) rented by the half hour or hour (from in front of the Nile Plaza Hotel in Garden City.

- An extra visit to the Egytian Museum (afternoon), as on your tour they will not give you much time there.

- Walking in Islamic Cairo, please see these two suggested walks :

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294201-c69990/Cairo:…

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294201-c84731/Cairo:…

Anyway the choice is yours, but as you see there is plenty to do in Cairo and I do not thing that any of the above would be in a standard holiday package.

Regards

Wendy

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cairo to Alexandria

When Wendy said two days ago that she worked as a secretary, I understood where all that organization skills came from :))

Well, although Cairo has a lot to say and can easily keep you occupied for a week, Alexandria is all worth a trip. The train is better for the trip from Cairo to Alexandria and back, but the van has an advantage that you can use it there for domestic transport.

The drive takes no less than 3 hours unless your driver wants to kill you! On the way back it might take longer as traffic in Cairo could mean you will need another hour to reach your final destination (unless you wre staying in a pyramids hotel)

However, I did this day trip a lot and despite the hectic drive it is rewarding enough to go for it.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
1,322 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cairo to Alexandria

Alex is a worthwhile side trip. It might be easier & quicker to take a train from Ramses Station in Cairo (make a first class reservation).

My favorite site in Alex is the Kom el Shoqafa (catacombs). That's a short walk from Pompey's Pillar. After that you can select Qaitbey Fortress (built on the site of the ancient Lighthouse), Montazah Palace/Gardens, Graeco-Roman Museum, &/or the new Library.

But perhaps the biggest attractions are the blue sky & sea breeze - a distinct contrast from the atmosphere in Cairo. I love Cairo & hope to get back there ASAP, but a day in Alex is like a vacation for my lungs!

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
206 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cairo to Alexandria

If you decide to go to Alexandria and want a good cheap hotel, I can recommend the following:

Union Hotel

164,26 July Road

Raml Station

Telephone: +2 03 4807537

This is on the corniche and you have a lovely view of the harbour. You can check it out on the Alexandria Forum.

have a nice trip

Dody

5. Re: Cairo to Alexandria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2009, 05:22