We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Desert - White Desert vs Great Sand Sea vs Wadi Rum?

Best Desert - White Desert vs Great Sand Sea vs Wadi Rum?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 July 2017, 18:44
london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,280 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Desert - White Desert vs Great Sand Sea vs Wadi Rum?

The trips to Wadi Rum are mainly of a half day nature. It's not a desert but a river valley, as the name suggests (wadi means river valley, can be dry). You travel there in a coach, wander about a bit taking photos, watch the sunset, have a "bedouin buffet" and go home. It's sort of big red cliffs with sand at the bottom.

It's nice to look at but I wouldn't have thought you wanted to spend too long there, though definitely fun if you are going to Petra anyway. The other deserts are the real thing, mindbogglingly huge.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,417 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Desert - White Desert vs Great Sand Sea vs Wadi Rum?

Haven't been to Wadi Rum but have been to both the white desert and the great sand sea. The white desert reminded me a lot of snow - all that whiteness, just not cold. Its really different from what you would expect of the desert, but the wind blown formations are quite interesting.

The great sand sea was fantastic and is my preference. I saw it when I was in Siwa (had previously seen it in Algeria). To me, the great sand sea it what I think of when I think of the word desert.

London, United...
Level Contributor
548 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Desert - White Desert vs Great Sand Sea vs Wadi Rum?

I agree with verity1

4. Re: Best Desert - White Desert vs Great Sand Sea vs Wadi Rum?

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 July 2017, 18:44
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
70 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Desert - White Desert vs Great Sand Sea vs Wadi Rum?

Hello!

We visited Siwa Oasis and ventured into the Great Sand Sea in December 2008 and loved our stay in Siwa and memories of our desert experience will last for a lifetime. We did not visit the White Desert, but you can't go wrong going to Siwa!

Check out our blog where we describe our experience and posted our trip photos!

travelblog.org/Africa/…blog-241160.html

Happy Travels!

6. Re: Best Desert - White Desert vs Great Sand Sea vs Wadi Rum?

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 19 October 2009, 15:18