We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Egyptian Museum

Manchester
Level Contributor
50 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Egyptian Museum

I understand that the exhibits at the Egyptian Museum are not labelled very well. Does anyone know if you can buy a guidebook at the Museum or, better still, where I could buy one (preferably lightweight!) before I go - possibly on the internet?

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
4,146 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Egyptian Museum

Yes, it is true that items are not well marked, looks like the cards have not been changed since the Museum opened ! the cabinets are old too, all wooden, it is like going back in time over a hundred years, but some people rather like that :)

I normally rely on the info in my DK (Eye witness Guide - Egypt), but you can get guide books at the Museum, and at the very good book shop which is on the corner of the Hilton Shopping Annex (to your left if you are facing the Main museum entrance gate). However, I normally look at the items and enjoy them for their own beauty, there is so much to see that no guide book could really cover it all, and if it did, it would weigh a ton !!

Hope you have a great time at the Museum.

Regards

Wendy

Mentioned in this post
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
Manchester
Level Contributor
50 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Egyptian Museum

Thanks Wendy, and glad we can buy a guidebook when we arrive. We're really looking forward to going to the museum - and glad we can go to the 'old' one before the 'new' one opens at Giza!

Mentioned in this post
Giza
Giza
Giza Governorate, Egypt
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
4,146 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Egyptian Museum

Well the "new" one will be for sure a long time in the coming....... God know's how old I will be by then, think we have to anticipate about 10 - 12 years at least....

Enjoy your time at the Museum. Advise you to take a break also, out of the Museum and then go back again, as it is rather airless. Just keep your entrance tickets so you can easly re-enter during the same day.

Regards

Wendy

Copenhagen
Level Contributor
2,043 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Egyptian Museum

I've written a review of the museum, which gives you a (very) brief overview:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g294201-d3…

I agree with Wendy in that a good guide-book (try Lonely Planet, they have a fine section on the museum) is essential.

Museum-catalogues for the Egyptian Museum in Cairo tend to be either huge coffee table tomes or smaller leaflets with only a bit of info.

But look in the book shop and choose carefully - the museum really needs to either re-print their old official guide-book (which, as far as I know is sold out and out of print) or make a new one. A new one was made not too many years ago, but I am not sure if it was an official guidebook from the museum or an independent one.

Louise

Mentioned in this post
Cairo
Cairo
Cairo Governorate, Egypt
Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
2,061 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Egyptian Museum

Quick point with regard to guide books. No matter how recently a guide book has been published, things will change within the museum.

Not only have there been ongoing attempts to re-arrange the displays (the newish rooms for Tut-ankh-amun's gold & the museum's jewelry collection are an early part of this) & temporary exhibits, but several of the items that are usual included in "highlights/treasures" type books have been moved to regional museums in Luxor & Aswan; examples are at least one of Tut-ankh-amun's chariots, several of his bows. the statues of General Nakhtmin & Tjay & several Dynasty 25 (Nubian) statues & treasures.

Finally, there are several touring exhibitions doing the rounds internationally at the moment, so many objects dating to from, around, the Amarna Period or associated with the reign of Tut-ankh-amun won't be available for viewing.

Sadly, even if you find the point in the museum where your guide book says an artifact can be found, if you then find that it isn't there, they don't tend to give any indication that any of the above is the reason for this.

If nothing else, it does give you an excuse for getting off the beaten track & exploring some of the less visited rooms.

Glen

Mentioned in this post
Luxor
Luxor
Nile River Valley, Egypt
Aswan
Aswan
Aswan Governorate, Egypt
london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,849 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Egyptian Museum

The actual museum catalogue is not terribly illuminating. The best guide I have found is published in 2001 by the American Univeristy in Cairo and is entitled The Illustrated Guide to the Egyptian Museum in Cairo, introduced by Zahi Hawass (who else). It is lavishly illustrated and will cost about £15. There are also excellent companion volumes in this series - the one of Luxor is written by Kent Weeks.

Mentioned in this post
Cairo
Cairo
Cairo Governorate, Egypt
Luxor
Luxor
Nile River Valley, Egypt
7. Re: Egyptian Museum

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2009, 22:17